What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small grow chamber/large terrarium

Hello all!
With my Nepenthes and my Nepenthes collection growing so rapidly, I am about to need a bigger growing area for my highlanders, and I am still considering a 55 Gal. long aquarium, but I think for the same price, I could build something a little bigger... Not as big as the chamber TomV posted, maybe like 24" tall x 36" long x 24" deep. I know that I could easily get PVC or wood and a plastic cover, but I would like it to be more presentable like TomV's, but not as fancy... I am considering a PVC or wood Frame, back three sides made of mirror, and the front maybe a sliding glass door? Do you think this can be done for under $100 if I already have about 75% of the mirroring left over that I could just get cut? Thanks a million!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

lithopsman,

If you're going to make the effort to build a new chamber, try to make it as big as the space you intend to place it will allow.  As you know, terrariums/chambers fill up quite quickly, and you don't want to be kicking yourself later on when you realize you could have made it bigger.  

I think building your own chamber has many advantages over utilizing a 55 gallon tank.  You can pick your own dimensions...plus, the piece of plate glass/plexiglass that you would put over the 55 would cost quite a bit anyway...not to mention the price of the tank!

The mirrored back/sides would look really nice...especially if you already have the material...but the frame would have to be very strong, and it will be a bit tricky attaching mirrors to a wooden frame. Not to mention, the final product will be VERY heavy.  I was able to simply nail/screw the wall surround into the frame that I built...the wall surround is very light and is around $20 for a 8' x 4' sheet.  As far as a sliding glass door for the front...I think it's best, easiest, and cheapest to go with a storm window placed on it's side.  You can put the windows into the tracks in such a way that you can slide the windows from either direction, allowing access to the entire chamber...or you could always just take the windows out of the frame.  Just make sure you install the window so that you have access to the side of the window intended to face indoors.  Most storm windows that are around 36" x 48" cost $25-30...a very cheap (and nice looking) sliding glass door.  Good luck!...and let me know if you have any questions.

Tom

Back