What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small evaporative coolers

So i think a small evaporative (swamp) cooler would be the best overall solution for me and my highlands this summer.  All the highland neps grow in my room, and my room often gets quite warm and dry in the summer (even in Boston) because of the sunlight through the windows.  Perhaps an evaporative cooler at one window will kill two birds with one stone: keep the air humid, and keep the room at a better temperature.

I've found several different models, but very little information about them, so i'm looking for some first-hand accounts of experiences with them.  There's this one, these, and one selling on Ebay a lot for <$100 by Integra (which i couldn't find online anywhere).  I'm curious what the pads in these are like, and if they function reasonably similar to a full-fledged evaporative cooling setup.

I actually bought this winter a humidifier for our living room, turns out it uses evaporative cooling (instead of ionizing). So, I was able to check some things out regarding small evaporative coolers (like I imagine you're thinking about)--it humidifies very well (brought our living room from 20% to 40-50%) but really is ineffective at cooling the entire room. I was thinking to run a tube straight from the evaporative cooler output into the terrarium. The air that comes straight from the cooler is quite cool, and if it is funneled into the small aquarium it should cool to 60-65C I hope. I would have to use a small fan and proper ventilation of the terrarium to make sure it doesn't get overly humid and stagnant. Well, that's my two cents, hope it helps you Nathan.

How large is the room? I had a small, consumer evaporative humidifier with a wicking filter but replaced it with an even smaller ultrasonic model.

It would probably be advisable to make sure it has a good return policy in case it doesn't do what you need. The links you mentioned look pretty high-end, and I don't have any experience with humidifiers like that, hopefully someone else does.

-Ben

Yeah, i'm talking about a swamp cooler/evaporative cooler, not a humidifier. I have a humidifier, but that doesn't bring air in from outside, which is the point here. They typically have a solid wick material (usually something from cellulose).

Back