What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slicing neps

Today I was cutting old leaves off of one of my neps and I accidentall cut about 1/16th of an inch into the stem. Will this harm or even kill my nep?
Thanks,
dewy

depends upon how thick your stem was to begin with? It would be a good idea to dust the cut with a bit of fungicide or dust it with a ground upcrushed piece of potting mix charcoal (even cinnamon from the kitchen cupboard will work) this will protect the stem from fungal attack or attacting sap sucking insects. If you have grafting tape you could wrap it (after dusting) and help seal the stem back together.

If the cut is more than halfway through the stem it may be easier to remove it completly, treat it as a cutting and reroot the top portion.

If I may make a suggestion, get to the fabricstore and buy yourself a pair of hemming shears/thread shears for removing leaves from your plants, this device is a pair of small extremely sharp blades that cross on the squeeze and then pop back open. These are very good for perfect cuts in tight places and actually used for leaf pruning on bonsai trees... although when labeled & sold for use on bonsai they're 10 times the price of the craft store!
laugh.gif

The plant was my small N.hamata. It barely cut into the stem, but just enough to expose the green tissue. My poor N.hamata has been through as much as Jim's Cobra Lily's.
smile_n_32.gif

So will cinnamon be ok to use?
dewy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dewy @ May 12 2006,9:31)]The plant was my small N.hamata. It barely cut into the stem, but just enough to expose the green tissue. My poor N.hamata has been through as much as Jim's Cobra Lily's.
smile_n_32.gif

So will cinnamon be ok to use?
dewy
LOL! I almost didn't read this topic, because I'm not strong on Nep cultivation. but since it was you posting it - I read it. Hey, I was gonna suggest duct tape...

Back