What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slender salamanders

I caught a California slender salamander! (B.attenuatus, I think) I am thinking of keeping it for a couple of days to observe it. (or just feed it to my plants! j/k) What do I feed it? what do I give it for soil? how big of an encloseure do I need? Thanks,
Spectabilis73

They are one of the few animals that eat slugs. Try small worms, also, but their mouth's are so small, it's a pain to feed them.

if you are wondering what a slender salamander looks like, here's a pic:

slender_Fern_Canyon.jpg

LOL, those guys are the most common amphibs. i find herping and just looking around in my yard! I have managed to keep a few for about a month or so on a diet of termite larvae (found outside under my dead wood heap), blood worms from the petstore on Judah street (Spec, since your in the Bay Area, try Exotic Pets on Judah and 39th, you might see me there helping out with the snakes). Anyhow, these salamnders are kinda hard to care for long term. Best to leave em be outdoors. Good luck-Zach

yep, I found him just under a rock in my yard.
smile.gif
lol
I'm letting him go tomorrow or Wed.
smile.gif

Yesturday I caught 6 slender salamanders! under the same
log! it looked like a large family, so I only looked at them, then left them alone.
smile.gif

Back