What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Size vs Number of traps

P

pmouton

I got a VFT as a gift a few days ago, and I'm really over the moon! As a newbie, I have a question or two. First of all - the size: my VFT is very small, about 5cm (2 inches) in diameter for the whole plant, though it contains no less than 15 traps! Is this normal. It looks quite squashed. I'm living in South-Africa, meaning that Winter is coming fast. Temperatures in winter rarely drop below 0 degrees centigrade, should I force dormancy with the 'fridge treatment' described elsewhere? Thanks in advance.

Paul,

First, welcome to the forums
smile.gif

Second, not a huge deal but this probably belongs in the VFT sub-forum. This happens all the time though so don't worry about it.

Finally, about your VFT. It doesn't sound too abnormal but with out actually seeing it that is all I can say. If it was purchased from a run of the mill garden center it may look a little odd because they were not treating it right. My advice would be to consider flushing good pure water (rain, distilled or R/O) through the pot to leach out any possible salts. As for dormancy, you might be able to get away with just keeping it outside. In their native environment (North Carolina) they experience temperatures down to freezing. If you do decide to do this I would recommend that you try and keep the pot from freezing solid and maybe even try to protect it from frost.

Just my 2 cents and I hope all this info helps

Pyro

Back