What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singaporeans - Schultz Canadian Peat Moss

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
for $8.20.

Anyone knows of anywhere else selling it? And/or cheaper?

I got mine from IKEA too! Pretty okay, but the moss is dry. There are also some twigs inside it.

Is it really that good? So far I've been happy with my $5 Horti Sphagnum moss.

Hi all,
Have used both, the following are some comparison:

Horti:Schultz

Colour=Dark:Brown
Moisture=Slightly Moist:Dry
Volume packed=Smaller:Larger
Volume wet=1:2
Impurity= Yes:Yes
Price=1:2

The Horti Peat Moss is highly decomposed, while Schultz is less.

The resulting wet volume offsets the price difference.

Horti tends to encourage green algae growth, no sure yet with Schultz.

I would chose Schultz, considering longer term usage; “less decomposed, takes longer to break down”

JK

I agree with JK in that the Horti peat tends to encourage algae growth.

I wonder if it's the peat or the silica sand that's encouraging algae growth...'cos my river sand/peat mixture is not having the same amount of algae although I used the same Horti peat.
rock.gif
In fact, I was quite pleased with the results although the river sand, being quite coarse, may not be suitable for pygmies...

No problems with my silica sand. I wash them like crazy and even sterlize them by pouring boiling water on them before using. Yes, boiling RO water.

hey why don't anyone use perlite? its about the same right?
where do you guys get silica sand?

thx

1. In the natural habitat pygmies are usually found to grow in white silica sand

2. Sand and perlite are not the same, clean silica sand are pH neutral whiles perlite is slightly alkaline, sand does not hold water but perlite do….. You can find information on substrates (soil or media) in this website Here

Oh yes! Hi guqin, where do you get silica sand?

I bought mine from an aquarium shop in Clementi. Very expensive (ca. $10 per 2 kg bag) but it is cleaned, but I rinse them in boiling water before using them anyway. Cindy could remember the price better than I do since she bought a bag recently. I think the name of the shop is Clementi Florist and Aquarium.

I bought it at $6...very fine sand. But the water doesn't run clear when I washed it...instead it was very cloudy and I had to wash it a lot of times.  
sad.gif

Btw, the shop's at Clementi Ave 2, Blk 328, #01-210.

I read up recently about quarzt sand 'cos most aquarium sells it. Seems suitable as silica sand is also quarzt.
smile.gif
So far, my plants are happy in river sand too!

Back