What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singaporeans: D. adelae anyone?

Hi Singaporeans,

Does any1 have any D.Adelae? I've read abt how this plant grows very well in tropical areas so I really hope to give this a try. Or does any1 know where to get it?

Btw, have the Byblis seeds germinated for you?

Hi eBeyonder,

I do not have any D. adelae but would love to get one!
smile.gif

No, I am afraid that the Bylis had not germinated yet.

Same here, I do not have any D. adelae but would love to get one!  

So far only one out of 8 Bylis had germinated.

No adelae and no germination so far.
sad.gif

Hmm... maybe u guys should try giving the seeds more heat and light? Perhaps it's the rain lah, not much light and heat also! My seeds germinated for me very well, but they germinated before the rainy season.

Any1 interested in ordering adelae from overseas?

Will be interested! But I would be away until 8 May.
sad.gif

Sure, May's good... exams in April anyway
smile.gif

But more people the better, since the certs & delivery charges could be a lot.

Count me in.
tounge.gif

Hi Everyone
I would like to get D.Adelae also you can count me in if you don’t mind someone from Penang Joining in
smile.gif
?
I was also looking to get some other Plants if we won’t to make a list of things we would like?
Regards
Steven

Hey guys,

sorry i haven't been on i had some school stuff and other things on, did i miss anything?? my byblis seeds did not germinate, it got attacked by algae
sad.gif
just to make sure I didn't forget anything, plz remind me if i had
I would like some D. Adelae in May too
Hello steven! nice to meet you, how are you going to collect your plants from Singapore? Also ive seen and bought some neps from Penang's flora exibition when i went there for a trip
One more thing ive upgrade my terrarium and it looks great, neat square trays with neat square pots and they fit exactly in my new $20 terrarium turned on its side, now i have MUCH more space than before for more plants! I can fit about 40 square pots in my new terrarium and it costed only $30+ to improve

also thx for the seeds and cuttings everyone!

smile.gif
smile.gif

Hi guys,

Just to give every1 an idea of the cost of ordering from overseas, I've plucked these numbers from www.bestcarnivorousplants.com

D. adelae {Giant; seeds collected from white flowered plant} / EUR 10
D. venusta / EUR 8
D. binata {red plant, Waihohonu, Desert Road, NZ, 1080m} / EUR 8

Phytosanitary cert -- EUR 25
Airmail -- EUR 12 - 30

So, taking the max possible airmail rate of 30 EUR (though I doubt it'll come to that much) and the cert at 25 EUR, that'd be 55 EUR to shared amongst the buyers.

That's about the cost. The last time I did a purchase (which guqin kindly coordinated
smile.gif
), the total cost came to about 60 SGD for 4 plants, including all certs and transport.

Just some numbers for everyone to consider; if we're still interested come May'04, we can see how best to organise this purchase.
laugh.gif

Wezx and others who didn't experience germination with their Byblis seeds, I have some more to send out to you. But I must appeal that you wait out a while first with the seeds in lots of light and sunlight, cos in my limited experience, they need these conditions to germinate. Hopefully the rainy/cloudy season will be over soon enough!

So if u think u've really satisfied these seeds and think that the problem lies with the seeds, pls send me a PM and I'll be happy to send u somemore to try. Of course, wezx, I understand ur seeds basically rotted away, so if u like some new ones, send me a PM.

Once again, the seeds are quite limited in number and it seems that the parent plant is dying away soon, it being an annual. So pls only ask if u truly need fresh seeds; if not, I would hope to spread the remaining limited quantity to those whose seeds have really defaulted
tounge.gif

Hopefully I can share this wonderful plant with you guys!
biggrin.gif

Something you might be interested in
COLLECTORS CARNIVOROUS PLANTS
There is Drosera adelae for $Aus 3
It might cost a little bit more to import plants than seed's but the more we buy the cheaper it gets  
smile.gif
Regards
Steven

Hi Steven,

The problem with Triffid Park is that they charhe 125 AUD for phytosanitary certs and impose a minimum of 40 AUD on transport and packaging costs. That works out to be 165 AUD fixed costs to be shared by everyone, and that is quite a bit...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wezx @ Mar. 26 2004,11:33)]One more thing ive upgrade my terrarium and it looks great, neat square trays with neat square pots and they fit exactly in my new $20 terrarium turned on its side, now i have MUCH more space than before for more plants! I can fit about 40 square pots in my new terrarium and it costed only $30+ to improve
wezx, where did you manage to find square pots and how big is your terrarium?
smile.gif

I have searched in vain for them square pots and would love to know where to get them. However, I do not particularly like those blacks ones that appear to come with some of the carnivorous plant that you can buy from the gardens. A pot with a colour other than black would be nice.
smile.gif

I found some black square pots at some nursery at Hougang. Got lots of sizes available as well.

Im really lucky to get everything to fit perfectly , the terrarium fitted perfectly in my growing shelves, the trays fitted perfectly in my terrarium and the pots fitted perfectly the trays!
smile.gif
wow.gif

I bought my new tank for $20 at rainbow aquarium next to nature aquarium but i only saw one, the uncle might order another one though, I bought it because it had a longer height (4inch) thats why ill get a larger surface area when it is turned on its side (thanks Tamlin for this idea). now the measurements (while on its side) is 18' x 24' x 12' BxLxH it is great! it fits my growing area perfectly.

These are the locations and prices:
(u guys probably won't go there...I got all of them from 3 different faraway parts of singapore)

the pots are black
tounge.gif
but they are selling for 20cents (3') the 4' pots are selling for 30 cents. the shop is located around pasir ris farmway at the aqua fauna center and they have free shuttles from White sand going there. I dropped by there to look at fish (I went to visit my old house which was at pasir ris) and found this shop, the owner is Terresa Yeo ditributor of "Sea monkeys" , has an amazing herb garden and hydroponics station and has a whole bee colony for making honey, if you go don't forget to ask her for a visit in the nursery, its amazing. You can call her at 65827768 or email at jafterdi@singnet.com.sg , she also sells cheap perlite and vermiculent and pots and trays. She also has black trays which fits 12 3" pots but it has holes at the bottom so u can't store water on it. I bought 2 of them and 24 pots and tried to seal the hole with silicon but it didn't work, i was disapponted until i saw two rectangular blue trays that fitted 8 square pots exactlly. it was my brother's (Jason Wong on this forums) and i traded it with him. The blue trays were from Daiso at IMM selling for $2 , there are about 4 sizes of blue rectangular trays , take the largest one. If u r doing a similar setup to mine, buy 3 blue trays as it fits the terrarium perfectly.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
how lucky am I? everything in this terrarium was because of coincidence.
biggrin.gif

ill post some pics below

Sea monkeys?! Wow.. are these the real commercial ones or brine shrimp? My experience with brine shrimp (eggs) is that they die very soon after birth; the commercial sea monkeys, which used to be available at Toys R Us, could live really long and get really huge.

Back