What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singapore nep producers

Anyone noticed those N. rafflesiana's that have been turning up at various florists lately? They go at about $12.50 a pot I think, and they appear to me to be tissue cultured. Anyway, does anyone know who produces these plants? And does anyone have any info on Thehans Laboratories? I am pretty sure they were doing tissue culture on Neps in 1999 ... don't know if they are the ones who are producing these raf's.

I dont know about price, but I think I know what raffs you are talking about and they come from Malaysia, Johore I think, was talking to orchid farmer who brings these in as well, they can be very cheap, $1 for 3cm+ diameter plant
other than these, the other widely TC plant will be the ventratas

Thanks, Lam_wn. I am still curious about Thehans Laboratories though ... they don't have a website so I can't check them out. Anyone has any info on them? Are they the ones who produce those vials of TC neps at FEF? (I am not talking about the ones by botanic gardens.)

Hi,

I've seen the uncle at Woon Leng Nursery cleaning the gel off tissue cultured N.rafflesiana before. And I bought some established plants at $2 per plant. I guess they might be into the business of TC neps...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Sep. 05 2005,11:19)]Hi,

I've seen the uncle at Woon Leng Nursery cleaning the gel off tissue cultured N.rafflesiana before. And I bought some established plants at $2 per plant. I guess they might be into the business of TC neps...
Hey, what a coincidence, I was talking about that place, the uncle is very nice and he sells the cheapest neps around. He does TC for orchids mainly, I dont know about neps, but there is the possibility. And he said that he collects the plants from the 'wholesale centre' (dont know if that really is the term) ...located in JB i think...

Thanks guys. I think I will send them an email. In case anybody is thinking of paying them a visit and wouldn't mind a hitchhiker, please let me know
smile_m_32.gif
Even if I can't get any neps, I wouldn't mind getting some orchids.

Back