What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signs of a new cultivar

I have a S.leuco seedling and it has 3 pitchers and the whole pitcher is kinda reddish. Is this normal for a leuco, it's probably just me. I don't have a camera, but I will ask my friend to take some pictures. It's kinda like a faded red, not dark or anything.

I also have a question, cause I don't want to create a double thread. How do you propogate sarrencias, I have some adult ones that I want to propogate and is it good to do it now?

How old is the seedling? It may take a couple of years to show its proper colours. There is always the possibility it is actually a hybrid, but until it is about three years old you can't be sure.

The adult sarracenias can be divided if they have several growing points. It is probably best to leave it a few weeks, December to January is the best time to take divisions although they are usually successful at any time of the year. Just empty the plants out of the pots and cut or snap the rhizome, between the growing points. Pot each part of the plant up seperately. If you have 5 growing points you could have five plants. I prefer to take just one or two and leave the bulk of the plant intact. As long as the divisions have a few roots, they will be fine. I don't even use fungicide on the cut ends of the divisions and have never had fungal problems. It is very easy to do.

The seedling is about 3-4 months old, it's only about half an inch high or so. I got the seed from the icps, it was labelled as a leucophylla (sp?) and only two seedlings grew at that time.

The (sp?) leads me to think the grower is unsure of the male parent of these seeds. the leucophylla is obviously mum. the best thing to do is grow it on a bit then post a picture if you can.

(sp?) means spelling as in Did I spell it right or wrong? I got the packet as a S.leucophylla. I didn't mean S.leucophylla x ?, I just meant S.leucophylla (spelling?) Also, I don't think the icps seedbank is allowed to selll hybrid seeds, is it, but then again a grower could have accidentally put a hybrid seed inside.

Sorry, I thought it meant (species?).
biggrin.gif

You never know you could have a lovely new cultivar in the making. It would be nice to see the pictures if you can get some done.

At 3 or 4 months, all seedlings tend to look very similar and nothing like how they will appear as adults.

You'll have to wait at least a year or two to determine whether you have a leuco or a hybrid. The chances of it being worthy of cultivar status is very small, but with any luck you'll ned up with a very nice plant
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Nov. 13 2005,4:33)]Also, I don't think the icps seedbank is allowed to selll hybrid seeds, is it, but then again a grower could have accidentally put a hybrid seed inside.
I don't see why they shouldn't sell hybrid seed. I am not sure how the ICPS collect their seedbank seed, I am not a member, but if it is the same way as the CPS in the UK, then they rely on members to send most of it it in. If that is the case, they cannot guarantee how fresh it is or if it is actually what it says it is on the packet.

Yea it's like the cps, they rely on members to donate seed.

Back