What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sick plants?

Thagirion

Budgies are best
I just got these albomarginata kuching spotted in the mail just now. They look terrible to me. Not pleased.

IMG_2159.jpg

But I think they might be salvagable. How should I go about this? I'm thinking of repotting to a 1:1:1 LFS, Peat, pearlite mix. Bigger pots perhaps? Four inches instead of these that look like 3 inches? Outside in my shade house perhaps? They'd get difused direct sunlight with warmth and humidity. Anything else?

Lemme guess, these came from "that place" in TX?

Never again. I thought a fancy website meant professionalism. That was wrong. So is my plan ok? Is this what I should do.

they're in less than optimal shape, but that shouldnt be a problem. they are moderately fast growers in comparison to other neps. pamper them, give them the conditions that they need, and they'll do just fine. and when purchasing plants like this from certain stores, it is best to get them when they first arrive into the states---that way, they are fresh and new, not pouty. as for ratios, i would go to 2:1:3--peat isnt a necessary requirement in most nep mixes. many just dont use it.

1) don't disturb the roots till you've acclimated the plant: wait at least a month, preferably more. (caveat: if you can prove that the media has compromised the root system , then you may want to repot in fresh medium)
2) provide as close to ideal humidity and temps as you can for this species. Start out shady-ish and then see how things go.
3) wait and watch. These don't look so bad, really. I've paid outrageous sums for really tragically poor plants from this TX supplier, but all have lived even though some have taken six months or more to make growth that looked halfway decent. I'm still waiting for a first pitcher on the N. Gothica I bought last July! As you said, never again.

Thanks Amphirion. I shall use that ratio and start to repot now.

EDIT: I just now saw your response Whimgrinder. Thanks for the advice. I'll leave some of the original sphagnum in there as that's all they're in. Temps outside in the day are around 86 and climbing. Humidity ranges from upper 50's to 90 at night. Lows have been in the mid to upper 60s and climbing. I'll do my best and hope they recover.

Yeah those plants don't look great, but they certainly aren't on their last legs.

I'd imagine whatever conditions you will provide will be superior from the ones they just came from. Watch out for pests or fungus in the weeks to come because I am not entirely sure what that weird whitish substance on the leaves is. This could just be a trait of an unhealthy albomarginata, which I've never grown.

I noticed that white powdery film on there and I'm sure it's not good. I have already repotted them and put them in the shadehouse.

Back