What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shuffling off to buffalo (again!)

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Earlier this year my wife lost her job as Children's Minister and has been in an active job search ever since. Many opportunities arose and then went away. For awhile we thought we might stay where we are or any number of other places in Pennsylvania or Maryland, Illinois, Ohio, a few in Michigan, and a few in Minnesota. But the only one left standing is a smallish Wesleyan Church in East Aurora, NY.

We will be spending the duration of the calendar year in transition from SE PA to WNY. I have been doing a lot of online searching for environmental / laboratory jobs and have had some acknowledgement. My short term prospects are to transfer to a local Home Depot for p/t work, while I pester the labs in the area for a real job, which I hope will happen down the road.

What to do with the plants is a big question mark. I have been spoiled by keeping the majority of them at the lab, at those window sills and the free access to DI water. I don't think I will have anything close to those perks when I move.

Any ideas?

Dude you better not move to Ohio just a couple of months after I left. That would be so wrong if you moved close to where I was.

O-kay......
confused.gif
Well, that would have been in Lancaster, Ohio, near Columbus.

its amaizing how well plants grow under 4 foot flourecents. im running 8 or 10 pairs of T8's and havent seen much of an increase in my electric bill. the AC pulls more juice then they do. fixtures were about $8 apiece and 10 bulbs for $20 at HD.even my VFT was quite compact and dark green with blood red inside the traps

Yeah...if you work part time at HD or Lowes maybe you would get a discount on what you buy (light fixtures, tubes, etc.)

So...this is a definite move? Are you sad to leave Pennsylvania?

I'm not happy about leaving the lab! I wasn't getting rich, mind you, but it was steady and stable. Can't knock the free deionized water and window sills, that's for sure! I'm native to NY, half of it being from Long Island / NYC, and half from Buffalo. I won't miss Berks County and the stoic / cold demeaner of its natives. I'm used to greeting people in the morning and saying goodnight at the end of the workday. Around here, most people just walk past ya.

H.D. doesn't give discounts on anything, unfortuantely. That will just be my way of starting with something and procuring health coverage.

I will miss getting together with Elgecko & JBL, though. All I know living near Buffalo is Scrupbucket. Further east are Tamlin, Tony, and Mr. Chaos. Are there others?

If ya gots the paperwork, I am in the vicinity (about 15 minutes drive from Niagara Falls) so if you are ever doing nay sightseeing, you know the town Bro... bets of luck on the whole process, and maybe we can get together sometime once yer settled in!!

Hey Carl, yeah, let's do some Chinese in Ft. Erie! There's this place called King Wah....

Well I hope you have a safe move!Just keep us posted!

Jerry

Jim,
welcome to the neighboorhood!
East Aurora is a nice town..(home of Elbert Hubbard and the Roycrofters, as you probably know)
I have found western NY to be a very friendly area..

what kind of lab work are you looking for?
I dont know alot about the Buffalo area when it comes to lab jobs, but out here in Rochester we have a lot of research/lab jobs with the University of Rochester and Strong Hospital..
I know Rochester is a bit far from East Aurora, for commuting anyway, but I know a couple where the husband works in Buffalo, and the wife in Rochester!
they live half-way inbetween the 2 cities (Batavia) and each has a 30min drive to work, in opposite directions..thats always an option..

What kind of job are you looking for?
Scot

yeh, general disposition of folks seem to vary from place to place. From my limited experence living in the east i have learned people in central massichusets, freindly. people incentral maine, not so much.

I hope both of you land the job your looking for, or that a even vetter oppertunity arieses.

Hey Scott, Most of my job experience is within the environmental area, as opposed to pharmaceutical or research. I am open to anything, since there is some amount of transference of skills. I am "courting" an enviromental laboratory called Severn Trent, Laboratories, having responded to 3 online ads for positions have fulfilled in previous labs. Here's a link to their website:

STL

Hopefull, in the not too distant future, I can pester them enough to procure an interview and job. Meanwhile, I just had a phone interview with Kriger Reasearch, and we'll see where that goes.

Yes, people in Buffalo are friendly. People anywhere but this county are friendly! Once, while visiting friends and family in WNY, we were staying at a hotel. People passing me in the hallway, perfect strangers, were saying hello as they passed. I had to remind myself that this was normal and I was living in abnormalcy.

I am familiar with Roycroft. We almost had our wedding reception at the Roycroft Inn, but our timing was off and they were undergoing repairs. My wife is enamoured with East Aurora, with a fairytale view of the town.

Well, when we make our trips out to Lands End, maybe we can hook up.

ya takin your kitty? Be carefull of jims kitty i had a bad experence with it  
smile_n_32.gif

herekitty0gd.gif

(Image source unknown.)

kidding, kidding. all in good fun, jum

The biting kitty looks like my kitty Spot, who has a short fuse. Jimscott, when you land and get settled, let me know, I have native plants and seeds for you! Have a safe and relatively easy move!

Back