What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shrinking neps

Hey all. I recently began to notice a trend with my larger Neps. When they begin producing leaves that touch the sides of the tanks, they stop making leaves and pitchers that are as large as the previous ones. It has just ocurred to me that this could have been the reason for my fusca shrinking and not pitchering as well. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

-D. Lybrand

Maybe you have root mealies.

It could be that the media is breaking down or they need more food, light or space. I have had plants very crowded still pitcher and develop even when competing with other obstacles and barriers. Tony had a fantastic N. Mira that was in a small four inch pot but looked twice the size of a giant plant, it also looked like it was competing with other plants for space.

Do you fertilize your plant?

Do you feed them?

M

Most of the plants I see this with still pitcher and grow, just make leaves about 1" shorter and continue to grow as normal. It isn't pot size or media (except for maybe the rafflesiana). The leaves are just running up against the glass. I am working on a much larger enclosure and will see if it helps any. Thanks.

-D. Lybrand

Nepenthes don't get smaller because the leaves are bumping into something. They get smaller because something has changed in a negative way (usually). The only time it is expected in a positive way is when a plant from a lower light situation is moved to a higher light situation. And then the reduction in leaf size is usually temporary and coincides with stronger thicker leaves and bigger pitchers overall.

A plant getting smaller has reached it's limits based on nutrient uptake, energy lost from respiration. Think of it as an equation. Plant size = Energy from photosynthesis - Energy for respiration. If the number is negative the plant gets smaller. If it is positive the plant gains size. If it is zero the plant remains the same. Then you need to ask yourselves what factors affect photosynthesis and respiration...and there are many many many!

Tony

Based on recent observations and what both of you have said, I'd say I need to repot them with new soil. Thanks for the help, guys.

-D. Lybrand

Back