What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should we prepare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, Ant. The only other thing I can say is this:

"I wish I was taller."

xvart.

um, what?

BTW: Sorry, I don't know what happened but, you fixxed the quotes but, I broke them, how do you fix the qoutes so you don't need to bother with it?

I turn off the computer for a few hours...

obregon, that is NOW. That is completely missing what people are complaining about, in 2000 we only paid $1 or so a gallon, now it is 4x more. So if it continues like this it would look something like this.
2010=$5
2012=$6
2014=$7
2016=$8
2018=$9
2020=$10
Now I am pretty sure most of us will be alive in 2020. So with your averages it would cost $350 a DAY, thats way more then the cost of a month now. Obregin, look to the futures problems too, not just the current ones and see if we can stop them before they happen cause some may still affect you. Also it is hard to pay $78 dollars more a month on gas. My family is having trouble like MOST. I think the goverment should sponsor nuclear, wind, and maybe solar power development allot more. There is no easy way to fix fossil fuel car problems until the eletrical energy is converted.

If that formula was true, we be paying hundreds of dollars per gallon today. When cars were first introduced in the US, they were an expensive oddity. Gas wasn't common then, and cost ~$4 a gallon in early 20th century dollars. We are not paying $150 a gallon, and your formula is highly unlikely.

$78 is next to nothing, honestly. I am a lower-middle or middle-middle class citizen, and trust me, I am CHEAP. $78 is, like 2, 8-hour, min. wage work days. If gas is so precious, 16 hours is a small price to pay.

If you think the government should play a more active role in economics, ask the North Koreans how they like it. Then maybe. If our government did somehow get that much power, think of how corrupt our already-corrupt politicians would be. Most of their biggest sponsors are oil companies, so if they were allowed direct access to non-oil fuel companies, they would probably shut them down or buy them out.
I am not saying everyone is doing it for self gain.

Oh, your not?

Um, the human nature is only conserned with their lives witch is supported by money. People only care about themselves and usually only want their lives to be better so they want to save their money to make their lives better

Really, I think this gas "crisis" is just a grossly exaggerated scare. Things are not that bad. The only people who suffer are the ones who are too lazy to adapt and change to the world. They are prime examples of Mr. Darwin’s "survival of the fittest". If you don’t want to work a little more, or do a few things that are a little inconvenient, you have no right to complain. End of it.

I lived and worked overseas for a time and the Europeans have spent a far greater amount for gasoline in recent years. One recent figure had it at just over eight dollars (litres to gallons) or more in some countries. While there have been some recent riots, especially with the soaring diesel, I don't think it's pure-grain alcohol, rainwater, and the "preservation of our precious bodily fluids" just yet . . .

again, you still are ignoring the future. The "better end" you were talking about can only happen if we activly try to make things better for everyone, but that won't happen because people are self richous horribly selfish creatures that should have never existed.
BTW the reason we NEED better resourses is because if everyone had an american mild class lifestyle it would take 4 earths to support! The only thing I see in the future in enviromental and human suffering. I have no faith in human nature.

I think in a crisis situation, food hoarding would be a liabillity. It would be you vs. the starving masses with weapons!

I turn off the computer for a few hours...

If that formula was true, we be paying hundreds of dollars per gallon today. When cars were first introduced in the US, they were an expensive oddity. Gas wasn't common then, and cost ~$4 a gallon in early 20th century dollars. We are not paying $150 a gallon, and your formula is highly unlikely.

$78 is next to nothing, honestly. I am a lower-middle or middle-middle class citizen, and trust me, I am CHEAP. $78 is, like 2, 8-hour, min. wage work days. If gas is so precious, 16 hours is a small price to pay.

If you think the government should play a more active role in economics, ask the North Koreans how they like it. Then maybe. If our government did somehow get that much power, think of how corrupt our already-corrupt politicians would be. Most of their biggest sponsors are oil companies, so if they were allowed direct access to non-oil fuel companies, they would probably shut them down or buy them out.

Oh, your not?

Really, I think this gas "crisis" is just a grossly exaggerated scare. Things are not that bad. The only people who suffer are the ones who are too lazy to adapt and change to the world. They are prime examples of Mr. Darwin’s "survival of the fittest". If you don’t want to work a little more, or do a few things that are a little inconvenient, you have no right to complain. End of it.

So your saying people are over reacting because YOU don't mind the cost as it isn't making YOUR life any harder. Did you check to see if any other families are having issues? The prices are rising, but people aren't getting to work longer shifts or getting raises. You don't mind working longer, so, CAN you work more hours? My dad has to constanly leave the state for work so he is hardly home so my brothers can go to collegde. Don't act like just because things are fine for you they are fine for everyone. I also remember that in europe people walk more, so if people are driving less, they buy less gas, so gas companies still need to make a fair profit on the amount that they are selling.

No, I agree that it's bad and my clients don't like a jump in twenty percent for all services which involve shipping or a commute. It is simply that all of this has been predicted for the last few years by a slough of people and no one seemed particularly interested in doing anything. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area which now has about the most expensive gas in the nation, along with NYC. It royally sucks!

The problem has been a country which has been sitting on gigantic reserves but refuses to reap the bounty in its own backyard. For some reason our own lands are considered far too pristine a site for exploration though we don't seem to mind despoiling Canada, Central America, or the desert ecosystems of the Middle East for our tank to the mall. And, as our dollar falls to foreign markets as the Fed lowers our interest rates, it can only get worse. In our laziness and apathy, we have allowed this to happen.

There is always room for panic, but when has that ever solved a thing?

So your saying people are over reacting because YOU don't mind the cost as it isn't making YOUR life any harder. Did you check to see if any other families are having issues? The prices are rising, but people aren't getting to work longer shifts or getting raises. You don't mind working longer, so, CAN you work more hours? My dad has to constanly leave the state for work so he is hardly home so my brothers can go to collegde. Don't act like just because things are fine for you they are fine for everyone. I also remember that in europe people walk more, so if people are driving less, they buy less gas, so gas companies still need to make a fair profit on the amount that they are selling.

I think in a crisis situation, food hoarding would be a liabillity. It would be you vs. the starving masses with weapons!

That's a good point.

So your saying people are over reacting because YOU don't mind the cost as it isn't making YOUR life any harder.

He didn't say that at all. In fact, he gave an example of how it is making his life harder, and how he has modified his lifestyle to adapt to the conditions.

My dad has to constanly leave the state for work so he is hardly home so my brothers can go to collegde.

Nobody is saying it's not a squeeze or tight for everyone. And it is true, that it is more manageable for some than others. Just because someone is rich or a CEO doesn't mean they aren't being hurt, either. And, is your dad leaving the state solely because of gas prices? Regardless, I only assume your dad and your family will be better off (and everyone, as unselfish as that may seem) when alternative fuel becomes more readily available; which, we both agree, is only being accelerated because of the fuel "crisis." Furthermore, the attitude that it doesn't matter, people are selfish, nothing will ever change isn't helping your dad stay instate more.

Tagging on to that, Ant: I feel for you and your family, and everyone else for that matter. But again, there are things that everyone can do to alter his or her own lifestyle that may not make everything perfect, but can make living even slightly more manageable (which I'm sure your family is already doing, much like many of American families around the country).

Don't act like just because things are fine for you they are fine for everyone.

Again, I don't think he is.

I also remember that in europe people walk more, so if people are driving less, they buy less gas, so gas companies still need to make a fair profit on the amount that they are selling.

People were still driving an equivalent amount when the prices started and continued to soar. Only recently has there been any evidence of people driving less, and altering plans that involve gas consumption. There are tons of news clips about summer plans being canceled or changed because people are just now starting to drive less since the future of oil is so unpredictable.

xvart.

I remember someone on TV said that if the rise in gas prices is what decided whether or not you'll go on vacation, then you shouldn't be going on a vacation anyway.

Let's not forget that the USD is a joke at the moment. The Euro is worth $1.59, and the pound sterling is worth $2!!! Even Canada's dollar is worth more! That's unacceptable. We used to be on top in the world economy, and maybe we can undo the damage and repay the debts to other countries. DEBTS to OTHER countries! WTF was that POS thinking? We're a joke, and it's the fault of the people who voted for Bush. I blame them directly. It's because of THEM that we're even having this conversation. What, the first four years of hell wasn't enough? Yeah. I blame them. What's his current approval rating anyway? like 28%? Maybe it just got so bad the pundits stopped keeping track.

You want four more years of what we've been going through? Do you? Vote for McCain if you like the current hellhole and wish Bush could have a third term. I'm looking at you, 28%. Maybe you can flush the toilet and send the rest of the country down the drain while your at the voting booth.

A vegetable LITERALLY would have made a better president.

And the winner for the "Most Failed Attempt to Connect Two Totally Unrelated Things - 2008" goes to:

We're a joke, and it's the fault of the people who voted for Bush. I blame them directly.

I think that the problem arises from horrid mismanagement on both sides of the aisles. I believe that Congress' approval rating to be even lower than that of "Dubya's." Also, the wholesale ignorance of the American population on the subject of economics also lends itself to the problem. Explaining the relationship of the lowering of interest rates (a feel-good maneuver to be sure in the short term) to the diminishment of the dollar overseas, falls on deaf ears. remember also, that oil is traded in a free market and in dollars . . .

I wonder if there is a connection?

I remember someone on TV said that if the rise in gas prices is what decided whether or not you'll go on vacation, then you shouldn't be going on a vacation anyway.

Let's not forget that the USD is a joke at the moment. The Euro is worth $1.59, and the pound sterling is worth $2!!! Even Canada's dollar is worth more! That's unacceptable. We used to be on top in the world economy, and maybe we can undo the damage and repay the debts to other countries. DEBTS to OTHER countries! WTF was that POS thinking? We're a joke, and it's the fault of the people who voted for Bush. I blame them directly. It's because of THEM that we're even having this conversation. What, the first four years of hell wasn't enough? Yeah. I blame them. What's his current approval rating anyway? like 28%? Maybe it just got so bad the pundits stopped keeping track.

You want four more years of what we've been going through? Do you? Vote for McCain if you like the current hellhole and wish Bush could have a third term. I'm looking at you, 28%. Maybe you can flush the toilet and send the rest of the country down the drain while your at the voting booth.

A vegetable LITERALLY would have made a better president.

Uh duh dude. It's because of him, but he didn't vote himself in (well...) now did he? No, he didn't. I totally blame the people that voted for him. They're responsible for putting a man in power who screwed everything up. Our money is down the toilet, our military is in the ground, we're facing an energy "crisis"....

And they did it...TWICE! And I'm leaving for a few days for the holiday. Enjoy the fourth, peeps.

Also, the wholesale ignorance of the American population on the subject of economics also lends itself to the problem.

Now this is a very legitimate observation. I totally agree, and unfortunately I am someone who needs to learn more about economics across the board.

xvart.

cDo they not make you take US Government in Georgia high school, or did you just sleep the whole time?

The president really doesn't have all that much power, and to say that everything is his fault totally lacks foresight and is easy, reactionary, naive, cheap, frivolous, etc, etc, etc, and demonstrates an almost total lack of understanding about how our government (and economics) works. Gas is high worldwide (except like...Egypt). Is that all Bush's fault? And it's not like the economy here has never gone from tops to crap. I guess the Great Depression was Bush's fault too?

I'm not trying to be rude here, but come on dude. Use your noggin.

How on earth did a person with 27-28% of the us population still liking him get ellected TWICE. I personally blame the congress of 2000 for ending the recount in Florida.

Ant, please read my posts before we continue to debate. Thank you.

Your right, my life isn't much harder than beofre. Thats because i changed my style of living to better fit the world at the moment. I am activly doing things to make my life better, not sitting on my *** and complaining. I have had to change, which isnt fun, but neccessary. Try it sometime.

And, i sincerely doubt your dad is leaving the state for gas/because of gas. I realize how hard it is when dads travel, especially when they travel more than they are home, but dont pin it solely on gas and "the evils of humans". He probably chose a job that requires travel. Mine did too. And travel requires gas...

Let's try and stay relatively on topic here and save our ammo about presidents and politics for another thread that we all know is bound to resurface sometime in the near future.

xvart.

This is becoming another global warming thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back