What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i take a leaf cutting?

My vft is doing great. One new trap just opened and it's about an inch long. I have 6 more on the way. Does anyone think that it would be worth taking a cutting? And if I do, which leaf should I cut? A new one or an old one? I eventually want thousands upon thousands of vfts to take over the world with.
tounge.gif

-_-
unless u genetically mutate VFT to walk, grow large traps that are able to fit human beings in and produce strong acids, and have the mental capacity to do your biddings, then u wouldnt be able to take over the world with just reg. VFT
as for cuttings, always ensure they are in a high humidity enviroment, with good lighting, and that they dont rot.
also, rooting hormone (Rootone, Shultz rooting formula) encourages, u guessed it, roots to grow
biggrin.gif

one more thing, its not really cutting, its more like pulling. make sure you get some nice whitish rhizome to ensure rooting
Best wishes,
Hellz

Hmm...genetically mutating as we speak. Muhahahaha. Beware Iraqi insurgents. I'll take a leaf "pulling" tomorrow. Thanks for the help.:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Warlock @ May 11 2004,9:19)]I eventually want thousands upon thousands of vfts to take over the world with.
tounge.gif
You have it all wrong.  VFTs already control the world.  They have these silly humans feeding and watering them.  We are slaves to these little plants.
tounge.gif

That's a good point. A whole lot of my time is spent caring for my vft. darn them and their mind controlling techniques.:D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ May 12 2004,9:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]unless u genetically mutate VFT to walk, grow large traps that are able to fit human beings in and produce strong acids, and have the mental capacity to do your biddings, then u wouldnt be able to take over the world with just reg. VFT
If I remember my Spiderman correctly, all you need is an accident with a dose of radiation and you should be on your way.

Using any type of rooting hormone will greatly decrease your sucess. It's because of certain elements in the product that cause VFT's to die, kind of like how tap water is bad for your plants. So you are better off just sticking the cuttings in some live Sphagnum moss and wait till traps form.

I'm just supposed to cut the leaf part, and not the trap? Yesterday I cut a leaf with a trap on it because it had a black spot on it, and stuck it in a pot of potting soil and put it under a leaky faucet outside, and it's still ok. I'm wondering if it's taking a while to die, or if it will actually live. This will be an interesting experiment.
smile.gif

for the cutting to grow roots, you will need part of the whiteish base (part of the bulb under the soil).

some people can use tap water, but the vast majority can not, due to it containing to many mineral and chemicals.

i have tried vft pulling with rooting hormones, with mixed results.

also, try doing a search for "cutting", and you should get all kinds of results back.

peace,
technoracer

Thanks, technoracer. Here's an update....that leaf that I plucked and put under a leaky faucet in potting soil is still ok.
smile.gif
How long does it generally take for an exposed leaf to die? Does anyone think that this leaf will make it, or is it just taking a while to die? So many questions...
tounge.gif

As long as the whitish base stays alive it should grow a new plant.

Back