What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i get one!?!?!?!

well I was at petco the other day buying some wax worms for the neps and I saw some hemit crabs, They are so awesome. I used to keep them when I was younger and now I want them again. It was soo hard not to buy one right then and there. But I had a big expense with my dogs xmas gift and so on so I didn't but I have everything I need to set up a sweet rear habitat for one. I mean since I've been reefing for 9 years I've come to have a collection of randon tanks and things of that nature. so the only expensie would be the crab(s?) them selves and food which I know how to make.

Sigh so do any of you have any?

I do know that all of them are taken from the wild. You, being a reefer, might stand a better chance then most at a breeding attempt though.

hmm breeding would be near impossilble in a typlical reef all my coral would eat the larvae. I know they are taken from the wild but they are collected only in certain areas making sure that they are not over harvested.

My plant freak uncle had a hermit for about 10 years while I was growing up. They seem to make good "pets" but will snap you with their claws if given the chance. I've seen some books on raising hermits so it might be a good idea to read one or two of those before getting into them. I know they sell all sorts of fancy supplies for use with them but my uncle just kept his in a sandy terrarium with some plants and rocks with a never good enough fitting lid. It would always somehow get out and be found in the cats water dish in the kitchen or hiding behind the toilet.

I didn't know they were all wild caught, that's kinda sad that with all the advances they can't captive breed these little crabs.

I find that hermits or any crustations other than shrimp are messy, and will require the upmost amount of cleaning. Just remeber to change the water and soil frequently or you'll end up with green water. Oh, and unless you have an ocean in your house, I doupt breeding will happen (you may get eggs, but the larvae will die). Zongyi

any filter device would suck up the eggs and kill them. that said they are EXTREAMLY common in the wild and there is nowhere close to a big enough demand in the pet trade to do any serious damage to the population. they are found most anywhere in the tropics and subtropics across the globe.

yea I have two books from when I used to keep them as a kid....

Just thought it would be neat to get a really huge one walking around my room when its out of its terrarium....

Get 1, they're Ub3r

I have been keeping Hermits for about 2 years now.  I have found six different species and keep them all successfully.  Land hermits and not hard at all to care for.  I keep mine in a custom built 75 gallon plexi-glass habitat.  For substrate I have used many different things and have found playsand or sterilized beach sand to be the best.  I have recently experimented with coconut fiber "forest bedding" and in my opinion it is too messy.  I keep a bowl of fresh water and a bowl of saline water available at all times.  Saline water is a must for species such as Strawberry's and Ecuadorians.  If you get a Purple Pincher aka Caribbean, saline is not required but I have found mine soaking in many times.  Petco carries many different species without even knowing it so you should do some research on identification before you choose one because the employees there are worthless.  A good place to start is the land hermit crab forum at LandHermitCrabs.com
                  -Nick

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunDoode182 @ Dec. 28 2004,10:52)]Get 1, they're Ub3r
I didn't get one.....
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif

I got TWO!

haha I got a absolutly huge strawberry one I named Dr. Zoidberg, and a purple pincher that I haven't named yet Zoidberg is crawling right in front of me as I type

Hermit crabs are fun! I went to south(or was it north) padre island and they where everywhere! Not a single uni-valve shell could be found without one! Sadly I then went to north(or south?) padre island and an oil spill caused all the life to be dead there:( I mean in the other one life was every where! you`d pick up a handful of sand and put it in a bucket and there would be all sorts of sea-worms,snails,clams,shrimp,etc! I loved those little bivalved mullusks that And go to mexico too!
smile_m_32.gif

hmm well I named the strawberry hemit Dr. zoidberg and the purple pincher Lenny crabitz...

Back