What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should dead leaves be trimmed / cleaned up?

• Thread starter jjhartley
  • Start date
I got the guy on the right 18 months ago, and the red guy on the left 6 months ago. They seem to be doing great, but I was wondering if I should clean up the old dead leaves.
20180227_164134.jpg

Matter of preference. You can but leaving the dead leaves on won't cause any harm to the plant.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

As grey points out, there’s no need to. The plant doesn’t have a barber to trim it up in nature.

But the dead leaves in an indoor atmosphere can harbor fungus. In certain situations, especially when cleaning a plant from a fungal infection, or repotting it so it’s stem sits below the soil line, it’s best to remove old leaves to prevent introducing fungus into the soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also forgot to add that fungus can accumulate under dead leaves if they’re dense enough. Never hurts to trim, and in my opinion it never hurts to cut everything off and wait for a complete regeneration of the crown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've personally only had an issue with fungus if large prey present on a dead leaf touches the soil. It still won't ever spread enough to threaten the plant though I think most people would recommend trimming just for aesthetic reasons.

Thank you all for the replies. I'll probably trim eventually especially since it's starting to get much wider than the pot.

Last edited:
Back