What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shortage of Sphagnum Moss Peat

I live in the UK. I went to the largest garden center i could find to look for Sphagnum Moss Peat, and it was nowhere to be found. I only fond some 'Garden Peat with Sphagnum'. I asked the staff why they didn't sell the proper stuff, and he said that they normally sell Irish Moss Peat which is very good for Vft's, but lately the Peat bogs in Irelend are endangered with running out, so all major garden centers have stopped selling it 1 week ago.

I have found several peats, but need advise to know which one is best for Vft's.

1. Homebase garden center 'moss peat'
2. Wyevale Garden Center ' Garden Peat with Sphagnum'
3. B&Q 'Peat'.

I think that the homebase 'moss peat' is my best bet, but you people here seem to know best.
Help Plz.

The Homebase stuff is fine.
I went to my local garden centre yesterday and they had about 100 bales of Irish peat moss, so maybe the place where you spoke to the staff is the only place that will stop selling it.

Thanks Alvin. I went to homebase today only to discover that they too have stopped selling it !!!
I am getting very annoyed about this.
The only place i can get any form of peat is from Wyevale Garden Center. It is called 'Garden Peat with Sphagnum'. Is this ok to use ? I think my South West Giant and Royal Red will be arriving tomorrow from Triffid nurseries so i would appreciate a reply tonight or tomorrow morning if possible, thanks.

Have you tried mail order? I'm not sure if they ship to the UK or not but I just ordered from here and they were fairly quick. You could email them to see if they will ship to you. Hope it works out.

Thanks Dyflam, i will order my moss there in the future. But my plants are arriving Tomorrow and i need to know if 'garden peat with sphagnum' is ok to use, along with sharp sand. A speedy reply would be very helpful thanks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from dave2150 on 2:33 pm on April 17, 2002
Thanks Dyflam, i will order my moss there in the future. But my plants are arriving Tomorrow and i need to know if 'garden peat with sphagnum' is ok to use, along with sharp sand. A speedy reply would be very helpful thanks.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I guess I would use it temporarily since I don't really know what it is. Are your plants being shipped bare roots?

Yes they are. I should have them tomorrow. I have one Vft which i bought from a garden center 1 year ago, but since the soil was already done this is my first time to make up a soil mix so i want to get it right.

I would be a bit cautious about the peat with sphagnum. If it was true peat moss it would say so in no uncertain terms.
Do you know of any independent garden centres near you?
Andy at Triffid sends he flytraps wrapped in live sphagnum moss, so don't worry if you can't find any peat moss in the next couple of days.
Sharp sand is fine for use in the mix too, in a 2:1 peat/sand mix.

Excellent advice... just keep them wet and they should be ok until you can get a reliable medium.

Thanks for the advice Alvin and Dyflam. Good news, my plants havent arrived yet so i still have more time to shop around for the real moss peat. There is a small independant garden center nearby, so I will give them a go. I'll make sure to stock up on this moss peat which seems to have been alienated in wales.

GOOD NEWS!!! I phoned up B&Q today and they have had a fresh delivery of Irish Moss Peat !! They said they are the only place in Wales to sell it. Its in 100 litre bags, so i will not have to worry about it for a few years. I'm on my way there now.

Back