What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Short Dormancy??

Is a dormancy of only 2 months ok for sarracenia and VFT's??
(they are in the refrigrator) some mold is developing so I want to bring them out now, they have been in since mid-October (2 months)..normally I leave them in for 4 months.

also, if I did bring them out now, would the EXTRA long growing season (until next October, 10 months) be ok for them too??

thanks..
Scot

Scotty, I think 2 months might do the trick for you... have you thought about getting some fungicide and continuing their dormancy?

Petflytrap offers cleary's 3336 now, and I will tell you what, you even catch a wiff of that stuff an you know that it kills... I would highly reccomend getting some, they could probably have it to you in three days, you could then dunk your plants, and put'em back in the fridge and all would be right with the world.

however, if you take them out, I expect they would be fine... the dormancy offered by a refrigerator is especially deep.

Hey, how are your fish tanks doing?

thanks RP,
I figured 2 months might be fine...especially only do it one year..(next fall they will get 3 or 4 months!)
the fish are doing great! I have some (semi) new pictures up on the discus page, check it out!
smile.gif

Scot

www.geocities.com/scottychaos/discusfive.htm

Wow! Scotty! They ARE getting larger! Have you had any breeding pairs form up?

nope..no pair yet...im actually hoping the DONT breed! because I have no way to raise baby discus! but of course that is not my decision to make!
wink.gif

they are maybe 10 months old now..so if its going to happen it should happen soon..

scot

well from my understanding they will either raise them up on their own, or you won't really have to worry about it... in a breeding situation I would be more worried about territoriality than the babies... you wouldn't want them scuffing each other up so the mating pair could have their privacy!

My bro had some discuss breed once, all he had to do was turn the filter off for a couple of days... he cycled it on and off for short periods to keep the biological filter intact, and of course closely monitored the situation...

The male ended up eating the fry as they weaned off the mucous membrane, but he got about twenty or so relatively nice ones which he gave to the local fish store. (Which promptly killed them with improper care.) Oh well... discuss are just so delicate... and they didn't make the sacrifices needed to keep them.. (which is one of the reasons I am sure they are no longer in business...)
smile.gif

Any how, good luck!

Back