What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharing an experiment

I like to share with all of you an experiment I'm running for the last 4 months.
In this experiment
I had 10 Nepenthes with my normal mix of peat moss and perlite
And 10 Nepenthes plants in peat moss perlite and Osmocote (10 pellets in each pot of 1.5 Liter)
Both groups of plants were the same age and size both of them get the same amount of light humidity Temp. and so on.
You can see the growth in the 2 groups on the photos
First photo 3 plants on the right side are with Osmocote and the 2 plants on the left side without Osmocote .
exp1.jpg

Second photo the plant on the left side without Osmocote and the one on the right side with Osmocote
exp2.jpg

The Osmocote plants have at least additin of 50% in growth the leaves are larger and better color and they all have nice size pitchers.
Arie

Pretty cool experiment, there seems to be so much 'vodoo' when it comes to Nep soil mixtures and fertilization. Many times folks don't include enough data points with their plant experiments, nice to see that you did (and could!). Were all the plants of the same species; I imagine they were all subjected to the same conditions (light, watering, etc). Would be pretty cool to do these same types of experiments with different soil mixtures--too bad I don't have enough room and plants or I'd do it!!!

A man after my own heart! Great job. *makes a beeline to Home Depot*

Can I get osmocote somewhere that had it in those nice little baggies so I don't have to buy 2 pounds of it (I don't have that many neps,yet)

Osmocote is a fertilizer.

Heeey Arie.
smile.gif
Haven't seen you around in a while. Hope all is going well with you.

Interesting experiment. You hear so much about fertilizer being death to most CPs. I've heard of misting neps with dilute orchid fertizer on the leaves but not putting fertilizer in the soil.

Thanks for sharing that.
smile.gif

Hi Suzy
Thanks I'm fine but have lot of work
I'm always here I write when I have something to write as my English isn't so good.:;):
Arie

Hi Arie
Great experiment just shows what a little bit of food does ehh?
Bye for now julian

Arie, your English is fine.
smile.gif
And I'm glad you are well.

What would be your opinion of a light fertilizing of a young plant? Your plants were pretty large when you started the experiment. Do you think a LITTLE fertilizer would hurt a 2-3" plant? (5-6cm).

Hey Arie, I have to agree, your english is probably more ledgible than mine! And I would definately like to hear more about this experiement.

Many will tell yout that while fertilizing a nep does somewhat improve growth the pitchers tend to be much smaller and in some cases there will be no pitcher formation at all. Have you noticed any difference as far as pitcher production is concerned?

Back