What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shallow dishes

When I saw the picture of the Ping in a shell, and on rocks, I thought it would be kinda in practical, and difficult, in a bonsai kinda way... then I got a mexican ping, and SAW its small roots. I was semi-alarmed, but I knew that it was Okay... Timbudtwo's Ping in a shell brought back the visions of Savage Garden, and Ive been motivated...

What other types of thigs could I put it in? What if I used a piece of carved out gypsum crystal you can get at the petstore for fish tank decoration? Would that be TOO much gypsum? I think it would look sharp........

Almost all, if not all mexican pings will grow well in a shell. Mexican pings like gypsicola, heterophylla etc. will grow well in a carved out gypsum crystal.

I've got some of my Mexi-Pings in those shallow bonsai trays. They look real nice in them. My wife has also decided to plant a few in little antique things she has found like a teacup, a creamer, a little ceramic deer, etc.

Pyro

What about moranensis and x mola?

I assume so,eh?

P.moranensis and xMola(moranensis x gypsicola) will grow in a shell. They should do well growing on a gypsum rock, although P.moranensis would probably like it a little more acid.

Utrics are nice in decorative dishes too...

I actually saw a picture of a medium filled truncata pitcher, with another nep growing in it... Interesting indeed!

I grow mine in all sorts of things.. Bonsai pots, odd pieces of pottery.. anything I can find. I saw the pic of a mex Ping in an abalone shell in Savage Garden.. I really want to try that but no one around here sells them. Does anyone know of a good mail-order source for abalone shells?

~_~

I can't find anything in my hooooouse!!!! Ugh!
I'll have to BUY something now...
tounge.gif

I find most of my things at yard sales and thrift stores...

I used a dish for dipping sauce for one... Its pure white, and really spiffy looking. And I used a candelholder for the another. One more ping left.

I used a really pretty deep soap dish once.. and a shallow wine glass

Back