What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shade Tolerant Nepenthes

Can anyone tell me what Nepenthes are shade tolerant ? My growing area recieves about 3-5 hours of direct sun a day. I live in Hawaii so my growing climate is very warm year-round. Thank you for your time.

If your conditions are warm in the day AND the night, I would recommend N.bicalcarata, rafflesiana, truncata and other lowland nepenthes as these are more tolerant of shade than highland nepenthes.

Hi Cheman

Your conditions must be similar to my own (Bali, Indonesia).
Ones that do well in shady positions for me are ampullaria, longifolia and adnata.
I think bical would do well also, I've just got some so I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, fatboy.

What time of the day does the sun hit the growing area? Unless it is very early in the morning or very late in the evening, I would think that most lowlands would do fine. What is your nighttime temp range?
T

Sun light hits my growing area from about 10AM to about 1:30-2
wow.gif
0 PM. My night time temp. ranges from about 65F. at it's coldest to about 85F. at warmest.

Temps sound like lowland to intermediate range. I would not call it shady though if your looking at full sun at the middle of the day. You will probably want to provide a little shade for your plants. Or acclimate them slowly to the full sun.
Tony

I would also reccomend a Bical... very cool plant and it sounds like you have great conditions for them as well!

Chem I agree with Tony, if your plants are getting direct sun, even if only for a few hours, then it isn't that shady. Longifolia and adnata which I mentioned above both grow in places where they NEVER recaive any direct sun. Adnata on a vertical cliff face in moss beneath bracken ferns and longifolia is plain weird. It grows right on the jungle floor together with aroids and other low light plants, very unusual place to find a Nep.

Your site will support quite a few other Neps, I still think bical and amp would be suitable but with some sun you can add others like albo-marginata, reinwardtiana, almost any lowland.

Cheers, fatboy.

Back