What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shade house shamble

Alright, so two years ago, when I joined this site, I couldn't keep a nepenthes alive to save my life, but now its seems I've run into a little trouble. At current, I only have five plants (Ph.D student = only enough time to dip a finger into the hobby, so to speak). Plants being, what I believe to be 2 normal alata, one very nice ventricosa (very red) and two that look like alata cross with something else. Sorry about being so vague. Anyway, the problem is, I went out this morning to give them a bit of pre-winter attention and ended up filling two buckets with spent leaves and so forth and found the whole thing to have become a very large, tangled mess.

After two hours of carefully unwinding everyone from everybody else, I ended up with my five plants again, but now, they're huge, with no where to climb. So, I was wondering, when spring pops around next year, is it alright for me to try and propagate via layering? Or is it best to just do straight cuttings? What works best, do you guys think. I'm going to try and get some hooks put up for the two more impressive plants, as it seems a shame not to show them off.

Sorry about the long winded message, but yeah. Thanks guys.

being tropical plants, there is really no preferred time for cuttings. you can do them whenever you can.
air layering is a much more conservative plan as if the cutting doesnt take, you dont lose the top part of the plant. but being that your plants are relatively robust species/hybrids, the cuttings might do just as well also. have you taken a look at various cutting techniques online?

No amphirion, I haven't. Well, that is to say when I looked, I found a whole range of things, some of which seemed a little... well, questionable. Hence, I was going to ask if there are any sources that are more recommended than others. Or, alternatively, if you yourself, have any preferred sources?

Back