What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shade Cloth

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
The time has come that I need shade cloth for my tropicals. Where is the best place I can get this? I need a pretty exact size, 7'x8'... Is there anywhere that will let you choose the size?

I need to know what percentage I need as well. I was thinking 50%, but I do want to keep some sun-loving tropicals, like hibiscus, banana trees and plumeria. Not sure how those will take to the shade. What percentage is best for highland nepenthes? The greenhouse gets two to three hours of direct sunlight depending on the time of year, but most of the day it's in bright, indirect sun.

Also, I would like a heat-holding and cooling factor. Heat holding after the sun sets to hold a bit of heat in, so black shade cloth will be best. However, something that will block the sun and prevent the greenhouse from heating up so much when in direct sun. The wind picks up sometimes around here and I have no way to fasten the shade cloth to my greenhouse, so would it be possible to tape the shade cloth to the metal structure inside the greenhouse? Are there any issues with that? Will that cause unwanted heating or something?

So where is the best place for me to buy shade cloth online? (I've checked local garden shops and places like Lowes, and none sell it by the percentage.)

Lowe's sells it pretty cheap 6' x what ever you what

That's the place I've been considering ordering some too because they do custom cuts. Also they put those little rings on them so you can tie the ends down.

Mickey, I have never seen shadecloth at Lowe's and I go all the time. I'd rather buy things locally that I can look at myself.

Thanks guys, I'll order from there.

What percentage should I get? Is 50% best?

Last edited:
they have them at my lowe's right by the gate to the parking lot ask in the garden yard

The greenhouse is only in the sun for a few hours each day... Do I still need 50%?

Back