What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting up a brand new indoor terrarium

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I'm really excited. I just ordered about $250 worth of supplies (lights, pots, etc) and plants for a greenhouse-style terrarium.

Here's a sneak peek at some of the plants that will be seen in the terrarium:

Heliamphora minor
Cephalotus
Nepenthes glabrata
Pinguicula Techuran
Brocchinia reducta
Utricularia calcifida

Everything will be set up next week (when all the supplies and plants arrive)

Question: is a glass top necessary for the terrarium? I bought an empty tank at Walmart and it didn't come with a hood at all. I will be having Heliamphora and Cephalotus in my terrarium. Would a glass top benefit them or can I just place the lights right on top of the tank?

This sounds cool!

For starters, yes, a glass top will help you retain humidity GREATLY. However,

From what I have heard, Cephalotus need good airflow, though I have yet to grow one. So do Heliamphora, to an extent. So having a sealed glass top would mean that you need a fan inside. But then, glabrata I believe, may be a Nepenthes that likes being quite moist, at least mine do.

Interesting mix of plants though!

You gotta post pics!!

Question: is a glass top necessary for the terrarium? I bought an empty tank at Walmart and it didn't come with a hood at all. I will be having Heliamphora and Cephalotus in my terrarium. Would a glass top benefit them or can I just place the lights right on top of the tank?

What works great for me is a fitted screen top with a piece of plexiglass over that. Two corners are cut out to allow my air tubes to go in them. My lights are suspended about two inches above the top. I use air lines running from a high power aquarium air pump to provide airflow. Humidity stays up, I've had no problems with rot and my cool growing neps and orchids are very happy in there.

I have a plastic tent that fits over the light and tray.
Picture008-15.jpg

Picture002-4.jpg

Picture001-2.jpg

What works great for me is a fitted screen top with a piece of plexiglass over that. Two corners are cut out to allow my air tubes to go in them. My lights are suspended about two inches above the top. I use air lines running from a high power aquarium air pump to provide airflow. Humidity stays up, I've had no problems with rot and my cool growing neps and orchids are very happy in there.

I never thought about using an aquarium air pump... I have several cattleyas which seem to be happy on the top of one of my plant shelves.. but it's something for me to keep in mind should I ever get orchids which are more demanding.... or if I ever get off my butt and turn my 75 gallon tank into a terrarium..

This sounds cool!

For starters, yes, a glass top will help you retain humidity GREATLY. However,

From what I have heard, Cephalotus need good airflow, though I have yet to grow one. So do Heliamphora, to an extent. So having a sealed glass top would mean that you need a fan inside. But then, glabrata I believe, may be a Nepenthes that likes being quite moist, at least mine do.

Interesting mix of plants though!

In regards to the glass top, I bought a piece of glass and cut it so there's a 2-inch gap when placed on top for circulation (The Savage Garden says a gap is important to increase air circulation)

Back