What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Separation

Today, while I was clearing away some dying leaves, I noticed that the plant that I thought was only one, is in fact two different plants. However, the one is so close to the other that I'm afraid to separate them since it might send them into shock. Does anyone think that the closeness of the plants will be harmful? Should I just wait until early spring to repot them both? Any advice would be appreciated.

Unless one plant is significantly larger than the other plant, I'd leave the next to each other for the time being. From what I can tell, VFTs can start a second growth point and the plants can slowly split by themselves. It is possible they are still joined underneath. I remember only having three plants in a pot at one point, and now have four. hehe

Wow. Yes, they're both the same size, but the pot that they're in is only about 2.5-3 inches. I guess I'll just wait until next year to repot. Vft's are funny. I'm spending more time taking care of a plant than I am on a pair of fire-bellied toads that I have.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Warlock @ May 12 2004,9:52)]Wow. Yes, they're both the same size, but the pot that they're in is only about 2.5-3 inches. I guess I'll just wait until next year to repot.
Believe or not, the 3 inch pot is probably fine for two plants. I had 4 plants in a 3 inch pot untill I put them in a 4 inch pot.

When in doubt, wait until they are too sleepy to know what is happening.

Honestly, VFT's grow in clumps in nature, they also seem to do pretty fine packed into a pot together. As long as the roots have someplace to go it's not really an issue. The only issue I can forsee is maybe rot in both plants further down the line, or the roots getting tangled which would make seperation a pain.

Back