What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Separating basal shoots.

Hey all. I've got a carunculata (vine + basal shoot) which isn't pitchering. The shoot seems quite well established. Will removing it and potting it separately help the vine to grow more quickly and both plants to make pitchers?

-D. Lybrand

I would tend to doubt it. Usually lack of pitchers in enviromental, like light or humidity. I suppose if your media is old & stale that fresh media may help, but I would look to light & humidity first.

Basal shoots usually grow bigger than the original stem for me. I like to make cuttings from the stem and leave the basal alone.

The media doesn't look good at all. Even when I first got it, it was pretty bad. I think it was like that from Calif. Carnivores which surprises me a bit.

-D. Lybrand

Removing basal shoots sometimes encourages more basal shoots to appear. I tried that with N.miranda and N.gracilis.  
smile.gif

See experiment on N.gracilis.

Guys, I think he's asking about pitchering, not production of shoots (D, correct me if I'm backwards).

Try repotting if fresh media, since yours looks worn out. I recently heard from the proprietor of a CP nursery associated with the NECPS that they have had remarkable success with shredded cyrpess mixed with a little pete instead of lfs. Just a thought.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Schloaty, I haven't really heard about shredded cypress before. Do you know of anywhere I could get some? I usually just use peat:perlite 2:3.

-D. Lybrand

Back