What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sending plants overseas

So I have this trade thing going on with this guy in Australia but I wanted ot make sure it wasn't illegal and if it was how well do they enforce it. Will I end up in prison for trying to send a plant overseas? Thanks. Shauntell

I don't know your laws, so I can't answer. Your best bet though may be to "anonymously" (spelling&#33
wink.gif
contact your local postal outlet, or some regalatory body in that department to find out. We do that sort of thing here all the time! When my hubby or I has a question that we need answered, we call without giving our name and just ask as a general inquiry so we can't get in trouble!
wink.gif

When dealing with plants that are on the CITES list, you need to have permits and documentation to safley get your plants overseas.

If they 'catch you'? They destroy the goods. Do you go to jail. No.

Here in the US, they will send you a letter informing you not to do it. ( I am not sure what happens on the other end ).

It can cost many $$$'s to get all the permits needed...and then things will sit in customs while the package is checked....

The choice is yours on how you want to handle it.
smile.gif

I wouldn't worry about sending something overseas, but I wouldn't mark my package 'live plants' either
wink.gif

As for making the anonymous phone call. Use a pay phone. Caller ID can make an anonymous phone call not so anonymous.

Don't use a friends or family members phone either. If someone wants to find you, they will start there and ask, "Did anyone make a phone call to ...?"

Australia is VERY strict with quarantine in fact I don't know of any country that is more so.
We require that all plants go into quarantine for a period of 6 months which incurs big fees - lots of bucks.
If your package gets found (and it probably will) the plants will be destroyed, regardless of their CITES status. I don't think that will even come into it at that stage.

Your friend can always plead ignorant I suppose but I would hope that he is not trying to smuggle them in anyway. I have always been kind of proud of our quarantine laws and I never try to take things back into Australia as I care about the state of my country.

I probably sound like a stick in the mud but the laws are there for a reason in most places (unlike here in Indonesia where they are merely an excuse to extort more money) and trying to cheat them is not the way to go.

Cheers, Troy.

Tony,
After the problems Australia had with rabbits, I don't blame them for being real strict on imported 'life forms' either.

Thanks for the help. I'll figure something out.

Just trying to think of ways to help you out here Shauntell...
seeds are exempt from quarantine so if you send him seeds you'll have no probs.

Also, anything in sterile tubes, etc will get through OK. Cause they're sterile the quarantine people don't need to touch them.

Hope that helps.

Troy.

That helps a ton actually. Now I just need to get him some seeds instead of sending him one of my plants.... Thanks. I was freaking out. Shauntell

Back