What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Send seed internationally

are u allowed to send seed interantionally to some1?
im not sure if u are, i wanted to know if u can send D. Spat seed internationally.
Thanks in advanced
Hellz

As far as I know there's only one kind of seed you're not allowed to send ANYWHERE
smile_m_32.gif
, but I'm under the impression that soil and diseases in live plants are the problem with most international shipping...
Better get a second opinion,though
smile.gif

Some plants would be restricted by endangered species laws. These would be out. Some countries have importation laws pertaining to disease/pathogen and require a phytosanitary certificate even for seed.. Some countries don't include seed with their phytosanitary regulations.
Tony

Is Canada included in the list of countries that have such phytosanitary requirements?
Hellz

I don't know if Canada has phytosanitary requirements for seed..

The department that handles at least plant imports is the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Maybe their website says something about seed.

Ill Check it out
thanks alot 4 your hlp
i have one more question
how do use an IRC (internation Response Coupon)
my parents had no idea what i as talking about when i asked them (-_-)
Hellz

Ahhhh, thanks Tony, see, I guess "as far as I know" ain't too far after all
cool.gif

I'm in Canada, I will try to remember to call our government today with the word (Zongyi Yang also might have more specifics) and post what I find out, it's the least I can do after my totally incomplete first post
biggrin.gif

i have contacted them before, and they told me that as long as there these conditions are followed, you are allowed to send seed to canada:
under 1 kilo in weight
not cities appendix 1
and i believe a few others found on the canadian web site includes that it cant be for agriculteral purposes, or a pest

i also called them and when i asked, they kinda humored me and said that small quantities of seed are usually passed if not overlooked. i hope that clears things up. dont forget that US rules may be different tho. Zongyi

My feelings are that the receiver of the seed should be aware of the legalities, it isn't up to the sender to do this. I send seed anywhere upon request.

Back