What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeds

Greetings, all.

I note that there are several methods to use in getting good germination of Sarrecenia seed. I have a big family which I have to earn a living for, so my time is limited, but at the same time, if people on this board are good enough to send me seeds, I want to show respect by doing what I can to get the best germination possible from what I am sent.

Can any of you describe the steps you use to stimulate good germination? The least number of steps the better.

Thanks as always

Tim

This is for Sarracenia seed.

1. Place seeds in a plastic bag with some damp sphagnum moss.
2. Place bad with seeds and moss in refrigerator for 4 weeks.
3. After 4 weeks, space seeds about 1 cm apart on the surface of a moist mixture of peat/perlite or milled sphagnum moss.
4. Cover container with clear plastic and place in indirect sunlight.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, mine are now in full sunlight. If you think it's best, I can put them under the main greenhouse table.

Tim,
Nick has it down. I would add this:

* Instead of putting the seeds in moist spaghnum(they are small and tend to get lost easily) I put mine on a paper towel, roll it up, wet it, zip lock bag it and label it with a Sharpie pen. (laundry marker)
* when stratification is complete(4 wks) wring the paper towel out and dump the seeds onto a plate to dry. They are so much easier to handle if the don't stick to your fingers.
* I get a plastic shoe box with a lid at Target or such ($3.00) and put my moss in that then sow the seeds. The lid helps keep the humidity up.
* Placing seeds out individually can be nerve racking, especially if you are a coffee achiever like me. I sprinkle mine on the top of pre-moisted, chopped, long fiber, sphagnum moss.
*Germination occurs in 4 weeks. Just add water to the box as needed. You will get moss and slime molds with a lot of light. You can use grounded cinnamon on the slime molds or allow the moss to dry slightly to kill them, then water again.
* heat helps speed germ.
* I would not put them under the bench. They need light to germ.

Sorry to be so verbose but I find details make the difference.
Happy Growing!

Brooks

Thanks. Those are a lot of details! I think I'll rather put them in the frig for a bit, dump them on moist peat, and keep them on the second layer of my greenhouse!!

Thanks!
Tim

Back