What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeds-u. multifida, lasiocaulis, leptoplectra.....

Hi,

I am ordering seed of the following. I don't suppose that the seed will be terribily fresh. Can anyone report any success with these plants, or make any suggestions as to how to get them to come up? (the last two are likely to be harder to get info about, I know)...

U. multifida (Polypompholyx)
U. lasiocaulis
U. arnhemica
U. leptoplectra

I guess I am looking at trying the last two of them in my petiolaris-group conditions with plenty of sand? Any suggestions on all four welcome though.

Thanks.

I know of people who have been successful with the first, second and fourth. All have been reported to do well in standard peat/sand and grown as typical terrestrials.

I have 4 times tried arnhemical and failed every time. I am assuming that you are ordering from the same source I used so I wish you luck. I have recently provided a T/C lab with some arnhemica seed from the same source but it is too soon to tell if they have been successful.

What are the conditions of growth for U. arnhemica?

I don't have Taylor's mongraph, but I understand that sandstone features in the habitat. Also, the supplier has two forms, one from a mountain of some kind (Mount Bom ? - which I can find no reference to). Does this mean it like cooler nights? Or does it also grow lowland, nearer the coast? The other type is from "Prince" (again no idea where this is, unless it is the same as the "Prince Regent River, Kimblerley" from the CPS seedbank). I have no idea what the Arnhem area "looks" like and am unsure what I ought to be simulating, although this is marginally useful: http://savanna.ntu.edu.au/information/al/al_cl.html

Anyone with the Taylor work, or their own experience, able to chip in?

As far as I recall, Taylor describes its habitat as being like you mentioned, sandy with sandstone bedded streams. I think he said that occasionally the plants will grow directly on sandstone but I could be mistaken. I'll check the full description tonight and drop it on here tomorrow.

Rob, on the copy of Lowries seed list i have it has "U. arnhemica Mount Bomford, Drysdale Rive Station, Kimberley" not sure if this helps for conditions but may clear up the "Mount Bom" referance

I visited Arnhemland many years back and can confirm that the area in general is very sandy. The region comprises of many habitats and ecosystems, but I'm unsure as to which the U. arnhemica is confined to. From what I am aware it grows during winter on the edges of seasonal streams that flow off the sandstone outcrops in the vast savannah below.

Allen Lowrie has told me that when you walk down these streams the bladders are incredibly obvious and look like purple grapes growing submerged. Apparently it is reasonably common.

The temps in this region are fairly stable with warm nights.

Hopefully next time I visit NT I'll be able to find this and many other species. When I was last there I was not aware of the Utricularia diversity (or CP diversity in general) and didn't really even bother looking. Having said that, it was also the wrong time of year and it is likely that none would have been around anyway.

If you want a general idea of the the region looks like have a look at the movie "Crocodile Dundee" which was filmed in the area- during the dry season.

So I could try growing in crushed sandstone I guess - wonder what type to use. When you say "submerged" I take it Allen means only just submerged (water at the soil level for germination and just above for growing or something like that).

Neither of the two locations offered are actually in (or indeed anywhere near) Arnhem though.

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I'd try the waterlevel at the surface for germination and a very sandy mix.

I tried a heap of freshly collected northern Australian species at the beginning of this year (U. limosa, kamienskii, leptoplectra and others- not U. arnhemica though) and had no luck whatsoever. I believe a hot dry period is essential and I will include a period of hot and dry next attempt.

Mt. Bomford and the Prince Regent River aren't part of Arnhemland but the topographical features of these regions are very smilar (actually most of the areas from north western WA to Arnhemland are). I believe the species was first discovered in Arnhemland.

Back