What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seedling questions

Okay, I'm trying to get a better understanding of my seedling and such, so their is a list of questions.

1) My D. Spatulata look like mini vertions of the ones sold by PFT, what varient would this be? They vary in bushyness but none are rossetted at all.

2) Why do my baby Capensis have leaves that are round insted of long? Do new leaves start to come in longer and loner or what?

3) How long does it take a Capensis 'Red' seedling to show this trait?

4) Are Rotundifolia darker green then the above spiecies when they sprout of do I have weeds?

Me thinks this post got overlooked. Or am I the only one to stair at my plants to notice this stuff, lol.

Hi Darcie

I'm new to CPs but my experience is that most CPs need strong lighting to maintian color. If they don't get the light they need they tend to be more green. Also my baby D. adelae start out with round leaves that eventually become longer as they grow. This may be true for others types as well.

Glenn
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ Mar. 24 2003,06:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Okay, I'm trying to get a better understanding of my seedling and such, so their is a list of questions.

1)  My D. Spatulata look like mini vertions of the ones sold by PFT, what varient would this be?  They vary in bushyness but none are rossetted at all.

2)  Why do my baby Capensis have leaves that are round insted of long?  Do new leaves start to come in longer and loner or what?

3)  How long does it take a Capensis 'Red' seedling to show this trait?

4)  Are Rotundifolia darker green then the above spiecies when they sprout of do I have weeds?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hello Darcie,

1) The 2 common varients look almost exactly alike, most likely it is Drosera spatulata 'pink flower' or Drosera spatulata 'white flower'. the only whay to really know is from the flowers.

2) After the Drosera capensis seedlings are about 2-3 months old, they start developing long leaves/traps

3) I'm guessing around 3 months, when the leaves start to grow long and not round.

4) I believe they are darker, but since I've never grown this species from seed yet, you can't take my word for it.
wink.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif

Hope I could help

-Spec

Ah, very cool. You have both helped me greatly. Their is also now reson to believe some of my baby dews are of other varients, which is very exciting because I I've been seeing my older seedlings look more and more different from each other. (seed got mixed up).

Does anyone have photos of various types of sundew at about 5 months of age I could use for comparison? I think I may have some more types then I thought.

...one of my seedlings is almost white with a little pink and green here and their, anyone have a clue about this thing or do I have a mutant?

By 5 months you should have fairly mature plants that will show the typical forms. Until then it is really not possible to say what you might have from your descriptions., esp. without photos.

Well, they are very very small mature plants lol. I'll try and get new batteries for the digital soon.

Back