What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seedling p lusitanica

I have a number of seedlings of P. lusitanica that have sprouted, and they are begininng to crowd each other in the pot. The largest are about 1/2" across, smaller ones about 1/4". Are they big enough to separate out into individual pots, or should I bother? Will the crowding be harmful? I'm not sure how tolerant this species is to handling, especially when small. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have p. lusitanica all over the place. Near as I can tell, they are the d. capensis of pinguicula. I have 'em growing in drosera pots, in utric pots, even in nep pots. Everything on the shelf below the p. lusitanica and everything near to it on it's shelf. I don't think one has ever died.

I say thin the herd! Thin it out before it's too late and we're all consumed!

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Sep. 19 2005,10:58)]I have p. lusitanica all over the place. Near as I can tell, they are the d. capensis of pinguicula.
I can attest to that.. after he had enough of them he spread them to me and its never stopped flowering/seeding since. I wouldnt worry about a few losses with this one.. you are sure to have plenty of replacements soon enough.

Cheers
Steve

As a general rule of thumb, when I move a plant, I first prepare the new pot and create a depression in it to place the plant. I use a plastic spoon and try to move the plant and media, such that roots won't be disturbed. In other words, I try to move a plant without it being aware it has been moved. After placing it in the depression, I try to delicately move more media to provide contact. I then water it ro help with contact.

As Max and Steve have indicated, this species is very prolific and a few losses, as they can become a thick aggregation, isn't significant. On the other hand, moving a P. primuliflora isn't quite as easy as a transition, because of their root devlopment. Mexican pings don't have nearly as much root development and are very easy to transfer.

Thanks all. I'll prepare a few pots and move some of them and see. Wasn't aware of how apparently hardy these little guys can be. Honestly I probably coddle all my plants too much (when I'm home).

Back