What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed pod maturation

I have a S. alata (supposedly - I bought it at Wal-Mart) that has two seed pods. They are green now. How long until they mature and what should I look for so I don't lose the seed. I want to give them away as other people have been so generous with their seed. Thanks! - A former lurker

One of my pods is just starting to go brown, but most split in September. As soon as you see a pod starting to go brown and split then you can rip it open. They take a couple of weeks to split enough for the seeds to fall out, so you have plenty of time to get the seeds.
Your plant will have needed to have been pollinated with another flower on another plant to get decent seed set though.

Where did you find S. alata (or any Sarr for that matter) at Wal-mart?  In a normal pot, or a dome-thing?

I would repeat what others have said - September is the usual time (though I've had one S. alata split this year already), and the pod will turn brown and crack.  Check on a daily basis, and harvest as soon as it happens.

- Patrick

I found it at a Wal-Mart in Spruce Pine, NC. It was in an open pot - they had about 8-10 plus some flytraps. I have also bought a S. purpera there that is doing quite nicely...

Back