What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed lifespan

I just found some one year old sarracenia and darlingtonia seeds in the bottom drawer of my refridgerator that I thought were missing, they were in the right drawer but they got moved a little bit, and I have been known to be blind... ANYWAYS, I was wondering if they might still be alive since they were just sitting in the fridge since last September. I'm not really sure how long darlingtonia and sarracenia seeds last and I was just wondering. I'd like to try and grow some darlingtonia and you can't have too many sarrs. So... yeah.. how long do they last?

Can't speak for the Darlingtonia but I've had fantastic germination with fridge-stored Sarracenia seed that was over 10 yrs old. The seed followed me through 2 house moves/relocations and then had great germination.

Oh cool! I'm going to put them in containers of water in the fridge for a few weeks to stratify them and then see how well they germinate. I'd REALLY like to know how long darlingtonia lasts though... Thanks for the info!

-(Kyle)-

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm going to put them in containers of water in the fridge for a few weeks to stratify them

Probably best to wrap them in wet paper towel, and then wrap them in foil.

Containers are probably too big, use a vial or something similar, it worked for me.

Yeah that's what I used, vials and really small pill bottles. And yeah I should've put them in wet paper towels... It's gonna be a pain to get the seeds out of the vials. Oh well, it'll be alright.

Back