What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am about to process and distribute this seasons Drosera seed harvest.

The seeds offered will be the more common tropicals, with a few rarities to those who have demonstrated both skill and generosity in the past.

My request is that if you receive this seed you 1) Sow it yourself. 2) Do not use the seed as potential trade material
3) Give it away for a SASE when your own plants begin to produce and/or contribute to a seed bank of your choice.

Growing from seed offers the best option for increasing your collection, and producing plants ideally suited for your conditions.

Since as most know I am fairly broke, I am asking again for any donations possible for the seed, but I will distribute it to all who request, the donation is optional. I would like to send out some plants this season, and the funds will be used to send out free plants to the best of my abilities. The ability to send plants will allow me to trade for new material which I will then introduce as it becomes established, and you can consider any donation as an investment for future fun.

As always, trades will take preference over cash.

If you feel you have a sase already on file with me leftover from my gemmae season giveaway you should be seeing something arrive in it shortly. I am just finishing up the huge task of transplanting all my Drosera and will then have the leisure to clean, divide, package and mail the seed.

The remainder of the harvest will go to various society and free seedbanks. If you manage a seedbank, please contact me.

That's my proposal. Anyone interested?

William,

As alway MORE THAN FAIR. My donation to your cause will soon be on its way. Your my best addiction supplier
smile_n_32.gif

Tamlin,

I will send out a donation this weekend. Thank you for your legendary generousity.

Glenn

It's my pleasure.

Be aware that I am a couple of weeks from the initiation of this distribution.

Consider your grow space, and if possible include a printout of your growlists along with the SASE so I can get some idea of your needs and abilties. I need to know how many species you can accomodate as well.

In the coming days I will post a list of what I have to offer.

Currently I am seeking seed envelopes as well. If anyone has a good connection to order such from, please PM me with details.

I should have an envelope on file, but am sending you another donation to help out with two SASE inside, going to friend who is just starting out and of course myself.

If you need something, keep asking.

rick

I am getting lot of PMs. Relax. Breathe deep. I have a lot of stuff so everyone will be ok, and thanks as always for your enthusiasm and support. Your donations are going to make someone happy (including me)

My address is:

William Dawnstar
42 East Oneida Street
Oswego, New York 13126

Remember: it's not going to happen overnight. I also need your growlists please, and the number of 4 inch pots you can accomodate in your collection.

New growers will get the common species to learn with. I can tell by what you grow where you are at as regards to skill levels. I don't want to send rare seed where it has no hope of finding multiplication. We need skilled growers that can make what is rare, not rare. It shouldn't matter: to a newbie all the species are exciting, and that's very true!

Meanwhile, I suggest you rinse some peat and quartz sand, and fill your pots. Keep them outside where the sun and rain can leach out any minerals present. You want a good clean start to sow the seeds, otherwise there will be risks of algae and moss. Try to grind the peat fairly fine, and take out any lumps larger than a small pea. We are trying for a light fluffy mix that small roots can easily grow into.

ill send a couple SASEs out with the package i promised you next week. a donation will be included too ofcourse. your generocity is greatly appreciated.

Rattler

Tamlin,

Check out the home made seed envelopes on the ICPS website. They work great and are much cheaper than buying them. Just hang on to your scrap paper, paper bags, etc.

Folding a bunch of them can be a chore!

Glenn

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Folding a bunch of them can be a chore!

Aye, that it can be and is! I've hours just folding seed envelopes and sending them off... and Tamlin has spent DAYS in the past doing the same and triple-wrapping gemmae... I expect that is why he is looking for pre-folded envelopes. Maybe it would make sense for those interested in seed to include seed envelopes with the SASE's?

Well, if you got them to send, send em I guess. Not to worry, these things always take care of themselves. I fear I will not have time for origamy, even of the post primitive sort so functional envelopes must be secured. I am already on it, and have had offers to provide. The group is as good as ever, which makes these chores a pleasure.

Seed you later.

William,

Would the small "bindle" ziplocks work?

The problem with plastic bags is the static electricity factor. It makes the seeds hard to get to where they are going, so I am going to opt for paper envelopes or glassine.

Sase will go out soon. Thanks. Btw. do I count as somebody whos shown generosity?
smile_n_32.gif

Tamlin, what size seed envelopes are you looking for?  I can send quite a few 2.5in x 4.5in paper envelopes to you. Or will these be too big?

Any sized paper envelopes will serve. Smaller is better but up to the size of a dollar bill will work IF there is absolutely no holes at the corners and folds. Drosera seed is very small and finds its way out of about any opening.

Thanks for the offer! I am in the final stages of transplanting, and have now begun to make leaf cuttings, so I will be focusing on this project soon.

If i get time i'll try to send you some waxpaper enves. I just got of school on thursday and my summer courses start on tuesday night. (>_<)

SASE sent.

Hi Tamlin
Is this Exclusive to USA people or can anyone join in on the Fun ?
confused.gif

Regards
Steven
Malaysia

I'm very interested, and if you could provide me with a Drosera burmannii, Drosera sessilifolia, Drosera prolifera, Drosera capensis, or Drosera regia as you mentioned in my thread in the other forum.

As for which one, if its in your means to send me a seed, I'll leave up to you. Whichever one that would do well in a terrarium with my Drosera Adaele as buddy, is somewhat easy to care for, and is exciting with a good amount of dew will do.
smile.gif

With any luck and skill I'll get it growing with vigor and can share seeds of it later on with others. Also, I'll send a donation if I can, but I can't if it has to be done online (with Paypal or something similar) or with a credit card until I get something sorted out. Stupid identity thieves....

Back