What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second opinion

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Please offer second opinions as to the identity of this Pinguicula. These three are from an initial single hybernacula. The understanding is that it originated in Northern California. Each of these three plants is in its own individual small 2 inch pot. One is growing in vermiculite coral, the other two in peat pumice.

macroceras_nortensis_sml.jpg

My opinion is P. macrocerus ssp. nortensis. The flower is rather light colored for P. macrocerus ssp. macrocerus. I am no expert in Pinguicula taxonomy though, so you should hope for additional opinions.

I vote for P. macroceras ssp. nortensis, not only on account of the location, but on the basis of the narrow lower lobes, which are not touching or over-lapping, as they would in P. vulgaris or P. macroceras ssp. macroceras (D. Schnell 2002). The flowers look to be almost identical in shape to those pictured in both D. Schnell's and P. D'Amato's books.

Vic

I also think this is P. macroceras subsp. nortensis

Eric,

Thank you for your input.

Back