What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seaweed

I’d like to get opinions about how easy or how difficult it would be to maintain different types of tropical seaweed in a saltwater aquarium. I know that most people keep aquariums for fish and other animal life. But my interest in seaweed was sparked when I went to the beach here in Honolulu and came upon a spot with a mass of different types of seaweed. The variety was amazing – lots of different colors and different shapes. I thought it would be great if they would grow in an aquarium. But I don't have any experience in saltwater aquariums. Should I try it?

They're very easy to grow, generally speaking. I don't have experience with raising all the different kinds I could find, but anything I've gotten to use for filtration or food grows almost rampant.

If you do an all-plant tank, you may have to have a fish or two that doesn't "graze" to provide bio-waste for the seaweed to eat (the food that the fish don't manage to eat will help with this as well), and I expect you'll be pruning back the plants quite a bit. They grow fast!

I'd also suggest a bit of live rock in there. That would give you a nice base to root the plants to.
smile.gif

-Dal

seaweed + saltwater + glass = perfect combo for sea horses DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST THOUGH

in all honestly, if seawead is allowed to grow rampant in a tank, one will usually out compete the others. Currently I have a tank with Cheatomorpha, Red Gracillirias "Ogo" (Hawiian endemic) and sawblade caulerpa (trying deperately to eliminate)

Back