What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seaweed extract

Is it safe to use as a foliar feed? I plan on using a q-tip to apply fertilizer to the leaves.  I can't find the recommended orchid fertilizers at the moment and the seaweed extract has worked well for me with other plants as a foliar and root feed.

Here is the product that I use on my other plants:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog....ls.html

I firmly beleive in the stuff but I'm still very new to CPs and don't want to use something that even diluted to 1/2 to 1/4 strength will kill my VFTs since they are already pretty weak looking from their ordeal at Lowes.

I think I read about seaweed extract for pitcher plants somewhere... It's worth a try, but you're wise to start with a dilution. If your VFTs are stressed, you might want to wait a while and see if they can put on some new growth before you risk killing a leaf.
~Joe

I just read about it for tropical pitcher plants(Nepenthes). The poster claims it does wonders for them but I guess I'll have to test on one of my VFTs in a couple weeks when they look a bit stronger or ar putting out new growth. THe seaweed extract is 0-4-4 which I forgot to mention in my original post.

Why bother? I wouldn't risk any fertiliser with VFTs. If you want to pack it full of nutrients, just put a bug in each trap.

Back