What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scorpions

I've wanted to buy a scorpion since I was about 10 years old. First of all, I'm going to college next year, so I probably won't be able to bring a scorpion, even if it's in a closed container. Does anyone have any experience with this noble arachnid? They look like so much fun to own, even if they don't do anything all day.

I had 5 emperor scorpions. Not terribly exciting but they glow in the dark. Oh, I also had one red one, don't know what it was though.

Joe

I use to have 2 emporer scorpions. They were fun especially watching them chase crickets to the corners of the cage and tear them apart with their pitchers. Also didn't require much care. Just a little bit of water and some dirt to dig into and about 1-3 crickets to eat a week.

Cool, they would actually rip the crickets apart? That seems mean, but cool. Are you able to handle emperor scorpions? That would be awesome. Man, I want one so badly...

You can but very carefully and I never did. Just let 'em be. They're like fish - just watch, no touchy.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Warlock @ Mar. 29 2005,6:23)]Cool, they would actually rip the crickets apart? That seems mean, but cool. Are you able to handle emperor scorpions? That would be awesome. Man, I want one so badly...
Yeah they would catch them with their pinchers and bring them to a second set of pinchers in their mouth that would mulch them up. In 3 or so years I owned scorpions I only picked them up two-three times. Handling them too much stresses them and can kill them. Occasionally handling though doesn't hurt.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Mar. 30 2005,12:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Warlock @ Mar. 29 2005,6:23)]Cool, they would actually rip the crickets apart? That seems mean, but cool. Are you able to handle emperor scorpions? That would be awesome. Man, I want one so badly...
Yeah they would catch them with their pinchers and bring them to a second set of pinchers in their mouth that would mulch them up. In 3 or so years I owned scorpions I only picked them up two-three times. Handling them too much stresses them and can kill them. Occasionally handling though doesn't hurt.
That makes sense. A scorpion seems like the coolest animal to own. It's a real conversation starter.  
smile.gif

The emperors are cool, but rather boring.  Scorpions in general don't move much all day, only at night.  The emperors are also clumsy hunters.  Sometimes the cricket will walk on top of them and still get no reaction.  If you can, get the Desert Hairy Hadrurus arizonensis These guys are fast and agressive, reacts to anything moving in their cage.  The Vaejovis are small fat and cute, but needs smaller crickets.  Don't get the super toxic ones until you've had some experience with non lethal scorpions.

Where would I get other kinds of scorpions besides emperors? I didn't know any other kinds were sold. And, are the other kinds more dangerous?

check out www.kingsnake.com if you go to their classified section there is a string for bugs(yes i know scorps arent bugs but you get the idea) there are importers, breeders and private individuals selling most anything you can think of.

This guys sells alot of "bugs", I've dealt with him and he's a good guy. Actually he's a member here but not active all that often. He made some trades with other members awhile back.

tarantulas and scorpions

Joe

Scorpions are pretty cool
smile.gif
I used to have a huge Emporer (sp?) I had it in a huge hexagon fish tank with anoles, which I found out are very tasty to scorpions. It would grab their tails while they hung out on the branches and just reel them in. Poor things didnt have a chance
smile_h_32.gif

I have to advise though if you know youre moving next year to place you know you cant keep one, I wouldnt buy it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Not terribly exciting but they glow in the dark.
well, technically they don't glow in the dark. They glow under UV light.
smile.gif

yeah, yeah.....I actually meant blacklight but didn't type it. Its harder to see it in regular UV. Blacklight shows it the best.

Yeah, they are very slugish. The red one I had was the meanest and fastest by far.

Joe

Yeah, I guess that I'll have to hold off on buying one for a little while because I'm going to college, but I won't let the dream die.
smile.gif
Oh, while I've been researching scorpions, I came across this really neat arachnid called a solifugid. I don't plan on getting one because I think they're for experts and usually die. Has anyone had one or any experience with one? They seem really fascinating.

they are facinating and pains in the rear. we have them up here, they scare the bejesus out of yah when yah feel one crawling across you face at night(its happened to my sister a few times and found it to be a productive way of finding them one summer, i just waited to hear a blood curdling scream come from my sisters bedroom
smile_n_32.gif
) i kept one for 3 or 4 months one time before turning it loose before winter. hey are spread across the western US and ofcourse Africa and the Middle East(not sure where else) im up by the canadian border so some species are quite cold hardy.

aren't blacklights UV lights?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Oh, while I've been researching scorpions, I came across this really neat arachnid called a solifugid.
I've only seen two in my life. they scared the heck out of me because I was little. They are WEIRD.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]they scare the bejesus out of yah when yah feel one crawling across you face at night(its happened to my sister a few times and found it to be a productive way of finding them one summer, i just waited to hear a blood curdling scream come from my sisters bedroom
holy cow well where do you sleep? outside in the desert? lol.
are you sure they're solifugids? I didn't think they wandered around like that. I thought they just built holes and pretty much lived underground.

no sun spiders are quite active hunters, in the Middle east and africa they get big enough to kill small lizards. granted the ones up here are about 1.5 inches long MAX. they live in arid regions of the world and trust me even though it looks like prairie we dont get much rain fall up here. and yes i know what they are. nothing else looks like them and i have had the chance to examine approximatly 120 individuals up here. they are fairly common if yah know where to find them here.

Warlock,
Good luck with your dream.
I always wanted one. My parents did not let me have any, and now that I'm married the wife does not want me to get one. I might be able to change her mind if I worked on it, but no place for a tank. If I did I'd have some lizards again.

I saw lots of different kinds of scorpions at the reptile shows I used to go to.

Back