What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SCD- Sudden computer death. HELP

Finch

Whats it to ya?
THe second compter in a month weht down in this house, and it was my labtop, not a year old.

I try to turn it on but i get the black screen

"Press F11 to start recovery...
countdown to 2 seconds

MBR ERROR"

Press escape for a period and it starts this horrible grating noise that i have never heard before. I press F11 and nothing happens. If i catch it in the 2 second countdown all i get is 'operating system error'

The computer was working perfectly one day and then i put it into hibernation and this problem happened. This is my school computer and i have vital information on it that i cant afford to loose. Does anyone have any suggestions.

MBR is Master Boot Record. Couple that with the noise and OS error... I'm calling bad hard drive. Is it a Dell? I know a lot of people have HDD problems on dells. Especially the lap tops.
Andrew

You may be able to run a lunix then copy files to a cd or usb flash drive.
Try ubuntu then burn on cd then run on computer. I have a dell laptop and it is stil running for a year and I got it used.

adnedarn: this is a gateway computer, purchased through the school program. I am computer iliterate, so... what does the hard drive do? Can i recover my information from it?

jm82792: i cant even get to a point to select the files. I cant even get on it at all. :/

The computer went down about 2 weeks ago.

I agree, this sounds like a bad hard drive. I suppose a ubuntu live cd might work in order to copy the files to a usb flash drive or cd-rw. Backing up important data is crucial, but i still haven't learned this lesson either. Sorry for your misfortune, and I wish you the best of luck.

-Neal

so... what does the hard drive do?
That's where all the programs and information is stored. It's like a CD or DVD only it can hold more data and is made out of metal or silica.

Right, the hard drive is the main storage on your computer. It stores your operating system, your applications programs (word processor, web browser, video editor etc.) and your data.

It's basically one or more platters coated with a magnetic substrate. There is a read/write "head" for each side of the platters (2 platters = 4 heads). The platters spin around at high RPMs (7200 rpm is one standard) and the heads step across the surface of the platters reading or changing the magnetic polarity of the substrate. The heads don't actually touch the platters - there is a minute gap in microns between the head and platter.

Hard drive failures (crashes) occur from:

Something in the controlling circuit board on the drive or the motherboard of the computer fails - sometimes no data is lost when replacing the board, however replacing the circuit board on the drive itself requires highly trained technicians to do it right

The motor or spindle bearings on the platter fail - if the drive was writing at the time catastrophic data loss can happen.

head crashes (ususally the most catastrophic):

The "voice coil" or stepping motor that moves the head fails

The pivots or head support arms break so the heads actually strikes the platters

Aligment of the heads go out - in severe cases again the head strike the platters - normally cause by physical shock - dropping, slamming, pounding or kicking the computer.

The heads striking the platter can actually scrap off some of the magnetic subtrate and data cannot be recovered.

Recover options:

Given the grinding sounds it doesn't sound very good to me. However check the CD/DVD drive and make sure there are no discs in there - some one may have jammed two discs in there or one disc is improperly seated causing the grinding noise. This should not give you the MBR error though unless it may be trying to boot off the CD/DVD.

As suggested by others you may be able to start you computer from a CD/DVD and copy your files to a floppy disc or flash drive. Gateway should probably have given you a recovery CD/DVD however this should be used with great caution as it could wipe you drive out and restore it to the condition when you first purchased it..

If you are able to start your computer from a CD/DVD but still not be able to read your hard drive a program like Spinrite may be able to get it back into a readable condition so that you can copy off at least some of your data.

The next step up from that would be use a professional data recovery service such as Ontrack (google search "data recovery"). These companies will recover as much of the data from the drive as they can onto whatever format you want - you can send them a blank hard drive, various tape backup formats, or CD/DVD. If the drive can be repaired or is under warranty they often will send you back a working drive (repaired or replaced) as well as the recovered data. They are not cheap, but then what is your data worth to you?

Normal repair shops (and even Gateway) will not recover your data for you. They will most likely replace the drive and restore it to the "out of the box" condition.

thansk everyone. I have not had acess to a computer lately but i was able to read what you said. I am having it fixed now, we'll see how much can be recovered.

Back