What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

saving Darlingtonia

I just got one that was in a dry pot at lows for $1 Does it have hope of recovery? It's planted in pure sphagnum and I don't know if that is proper because I also got a dead ping that turned out to have 1 layer of peat and 1 layer of spagnum in it's pot. I've already rehydrated the little guy, but I've left the lid on because I think it's humidity starved. What should I be doing for rehab? Would it be a good idea to hit it with fungiside? I've never had a Cobra Lilly before so I'm running on very little data right now.

I don't know as much about Darlingtonia as I do about other CPs, but I do know you should keep the roots as cool as possible. Try flushing the pot with refridgerated water to do this.

Yah, I'm keeping it out of direct light for now. It doesn't look to bad yet, but I think I just got to it in time... Any experts know a temp max and if I need to get it a minni fountain for water flow?

Darlingtonia don't need fancy setups with 3 water cooling pumps to grow well, they DO need an airy medium with rocky components like pumice and perlite and to a lesser extent...charcoal. The need to have their pots flushed with water about 2 times a day in the growing season to promote O2 to the roots and good cooling.

Okay
smile.gif
I'll see what I can do about airing it out
smile.gif

I grow mine in pure sphagnum moss. I've found they can take a while to recover as they throw stolons down and around inside the pot, before new pitchers emerge from them.

Okay, well, I think I know how to ensure a happy plant, but how sensitive are the roots. I think I need to replant it... would it like some perlight in it's LFS

Perlite isn't necessary really. It's probably poorly because it has been given tap water in the store. Try taking out the sphagnum it's in and thoroughly rinsing it in rainwater before repotting.
The roots aren't that sensitive. Repot it and wait. It might not start growing much for a couple of months but I'm sure you can make it happy!

Yes, well, My Cobra is now in a fancey set up, but not THAT fancey
smile.gif
I got a reptile waterfall (the kind for mountain species) and planted it in the collection pool at the bottom
biggrin.gif
Not only does it look uber classy, but I'm hoping it does a good job of reproducing it's native habitat along the edges of mountain springs.

Got any pics of this allegedly snazzy setup?
tounge.gif

Back