What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sauromatum venosum

Dave S.

NECPS President
Here is a picture is of a S. venosum that bloom recently:

sauromatumvenosum.jpg

Here is a spider that took advantage of how this plant is pollinated:

svenosumspidefly.jpg

Does anyone else here grow these?

Very nice! Mine didn't return this season so I guess I offed it. Mine never flowered but made the most beautiful leaves! Awesome flower and I bet it smaells as pretty as it looks, hmmmm?

Yes, it smelled pretty bad and the flies were all over it. Luckily, you had to get fairly close to smell it.

This is an awesome plant! The inflorescence is spectacular, the smell is charming and the leaf is beautiful. And also, it is now known as Typhonium venosum.

I grow it and it is spectacular, lovely plant, smells like cow urine too! ;)

Hi Dave,

I've got two decent sized ones with three babies so far.
You beat me to the flowering finish line though.
I've got A. paeonifolious and A. bulbifer growing nicely.
My A. odoratus shriveled their tubers and never returned.

Kirk

This is one heck of a nice plant, my plant flwoers every year and makes an abundant supply of excess tubers. I gave it to my uncle for his bithday, he said the leave looked very nice, i said wait til it flowers !!! lol

I've been trying to look for the tuebrs of A. paeonifolius at local asian super markets to plant but nope, can't find a local source of this plant and am still looking.

How did it get christened Typhonium venosum all of a sudden Larry?

They changed the name quite i while ago. I don't know why, I think it looks very different from other Typhoniums.

I've also been looking for A. paeoniifolius in markets. Probably won't find them in the big asian markets. Best place too look would be indian markets.

I grow them also and grow them as a hardy plant and i have a huge clump this year with leaves 2 feet high and the leaf on top is like 2 feet across. Matter of fact i have a seed head almost ripe.

I also grow
drancunculus vulgaris
Amorphophallus Konjac, bulbifer, paeoniifolius, titanum and i got those giraffe knees

Awesome, them giraffe knees are funny looking. Do they produce offsets?

Back