What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sauromatum venosum, stinky...

I got some of these from a member at the OCPS forums, they came with baseballish sized tubers and were beginning to produce flowers.

And one of the flowers opened today. Now, I have these on my bedroom windowsill, otherwise I would not be complaining. But waking up to the smell of rotting flesh is rather unpleasant. I actually put them in large clear plastic garbage bags so they won't stink up my room.

Other than the smell (which is somewhere between durian and a rotting corpse) I can't complain, I took them outside for most of the afternoon, and took some photos while they were out there.

These blooms are about 17 inches long:

DSC_0002-8.jpg

DSC_0003-11.jpg

DSC_0004-8.jpg

DSC_0006-5.jpg

DSC_0007-6.jpg

DSC_0008-5.jpg

DSC_0011-3.jpg

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Very nice. I got lazy and left mine in the ground over the winter. I've heard that there is a chance that they could actually make it though. Time will tell..............

Hmm, hope it survives! These are really fun to grow. I decided that I would keep these in pots till I had enough to risk some in the ground. I kinda want to try a bigger species like Amorphophallus konjac, but smelling these I am kinda afraid...

I don't think they smell as bad as people say. Swords mentioned that they smell like latex Halloween masks and, he's right. That's best way to describe the smell of them, a very strong plasticy latexy type smell. Really cool plants.

What a great design, mother nature sure has taste.

She's a pervert...

These fell over last night because of the garbage bags they were in. Time for me to think of a better solution.

Note: Use support for the flowers next time.

I kinda want to get some just to experience the smell....

They are quite pretty, as long as you can grow them somewhere other than where you sleep...

Back