What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saturday the cacti landed

A guy that works at Linder's garden center who I met on a cacti forum emailed me that a new shipment of exotic cacti came in Friday so here's what all I got on Saturday, talk about greedy! :D

Two new Adromischus for my ever growing collection:

Adromischus clavifolius (this is not what this plant is but I haven't studied my book enough to deciper it yet)
adromischiusclavifolius.jpg

Adromischus rupicolus now called Adromischus trigynus, it has a caudex!
adromischiusrupicolus.jpg

Some species of Senecio vine.
ceropegiasp1.jpg

Neochilenea occulta - this looks kinda like a living piece of brimstone cast up from hades! Or a glowing horse puck! lol! I'm on the look out for black pebbles to top coat this guy.
neochileneaocculta.jpg

Copiapoa hypogaea this huge clump is really packed into this pot
copiapoahypogaea.jpg

Obregonia denegrii This guy should have been transplanted to a bigger pot a year or two ago, I hope I can get him out!
obregoniadenegrii.jpg

Gymnocalycium friedrichiae
gymnocalyciumfriedrichiae.jpg

Idria columnaris this is actually a tree/shrub from southern ca/northern mexico but I'm gonna train it as a bonsai since it came with the excellent thickened base already. The arms were quite long but I cut them down.
idriacolumnaris.jpg

Conophytum minutum, a guy I know thinks it's Conophytum minimum var witerburgenese, I just like it. Seems like it's got those Native picto-glyphs drawn on it if you stare at it long enough you see figures and animals and things! Unfortunately I have been instructed not to water it again until August. I have to let it dry up into a shriveled little mummy stump then in August I can repot it and water it and the new bodies will inflate tearing through the shriveled outter bodies. So I better get an eyeful now... Things like this should come with a booklet - who would guess that you should avoid watering this plant from April - August for proper growth? lol!
conophytumminutum.jpg

Ihlenfeldtia vanzylia - say that three times fast!
ihlenfeldtiavanzyliae.jpg

Lithops karatosmontana v latirita
lithopslaterita.jpg

Lithops leslei v venteri
lithopslesleiventeri.jpg

Lithops menelii
lithopsmenelii.jpg

Lithops suzannae
lithopssuzannae.jpg

Pleiospilos nelii "Royal Flush" I have another one of these but it had been grown "stacked" The previous owner didn't stop watering so it could absorb the old bodies. It should be like a lithops with only one pair of leaves unless it starts offsetting. So to me this is the first good P nelii I've got!
pleiospilosneliirubra.jpg

I love Linders, all 2.5" cacti/succulents are only $2.99 each. It's hard not to buy 'em all! :D They're all grown/propagated by a local guy living somewhere in northern MN. He must have an amazing collection cos he rarely ever sends the same stuff and Linders orders 350 assorted exotic cacti at a pop at least once a month.

I actually passed up a ton of amazing stuff you never see anywhere, they just weren't my bag (and my current light shelf space is rapidly diminishing). Aloe, Crassula, Haworthia & Optunia lovers come from all over the state I guess. I just like the windowed Haworthias and insectoid/segmented looking compact crassulas.

Very nice. But, with the Neochilenea occulta, you should be it against white pebbles or pure white sand. It stands out better that way. Against black, it fades in.

That was why I wanted black, to emphasize the "occulta" (hidden) part of the name. I haven't even started looking for pebbles and river rocks to match the new Lithops...
I'm a freak ya know! :D

Swords,

Nice, thanks for sharing. I wish we had some place with that kind of variety here on Oahu. No, on second thought it is probably a good thing we don't.....

Regards,

Keith

Back