What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarrs won't flower...ever

I've had 3 Sarrs for two full growing seasons (2008 and 2009) - Sarracenia x Catesbaie, Judith Hindle (sold as Dana's Delight..oops), and a Purpurea ssp Venosa.

They grow outdoors with about 6 hour of sunlight per day (partially under a maple tree that blocks out some of the direct sunlight - that maple tree was cut down in September though so they get full sun now).

They also grow right beside a slew of venus flytraps that flower like mad all through the growing season.

All of my Sarr's are extremely healthy and toss up huge pitchers; the first two divided twice each this year and the Purp divided once. Yet, no flowers, and they're now going dormant.

What's goin' on here?

Two aint nuff. Depends on the sarr, you dunno how long they've been..err.. yaknow growing from the previous owners so theres really noway to check the age. just gotta wait. im pretty sure one of em will flowa next season.

Your plants may not be mature enough yet. Sarracenia take at least 3-7 years to reach maturity. Small divisions from mature plants can take 2 or 3 years to grow big enough to flower too.

I don't think they're two years old. I got the Judith Hindle and the x Catesbaei from adnedarn - they both had a few ~12" pitchers when I got them. I didn't know young Sarrs could put up pitchers that large.

I'll see if he remembers how old they were when he sent them. I never considered age because they certainly look full-grown + 2 years to me.

Edit: Attaching pics of the plants from August 2009. The tallest pitcher is 14 inches.

I had my judith hindle for 2 years. it didn't flower.

They look healthy enough. The plants will not flower until spring anyways, so if you're hoping for flowers this year, you won't be seeing any. So long as the plants get a cool winter rest, the first growth that you'll see in spring are the flower buds. Just be patient and you might be rewarded with flowers this spring.

Hello, I remember the sale but I really have no way to know the age. I do sell divisions and not TC plants so it would be just about impossible to give an age. As far as the size of division, I like to think I'm pretty good about sending "mature" divisions (going by size). But I don't keep track of which ones have flowered or anything like that. :sorry: And good luck on flowers next year!
Andrew

Are those fall pics? If they are your Judith Hindle doesnt look completely mature yet. Pitchers will get get larger at the mouth and the lid will get a more wavy look but height wise it looks about as tall as it'll get. Give it another year or two. I've had my JH for 2 years, has 2 growth points and had no flowers this year. patience young padowon...
I'll have to snap a picture of this year's pitchers.

Last years pitchers...
IMG_1239.JPG_595.jpg

Thanks Andrew, Yoda, and everyone else.

No worries on not knowing the age - I'd have called it nothing short of a miracle if you knew anyway, but thought I'd give it a shot. They're really healthy plants.

They were out since March, so I know if they were going to lower they would have by now...they'll be dormant soon and I'll see if I get flowers next year.

Even healthy, mature plants don't necessarily flower every year.

Like the others said, they look a little small to be flowering. Even a mature plant may need two or three years to get back to flowering after rhizome division, and many plants simply don't flower each year. Once it starts to branch and has many growing points you'll have a much better chance of getting flowers on any particular year.
(partially under a maple tree that blocks out some of the direct sunlight - that maple tree was cut down in September though so they get full sun now)
I think this may be the #1 reason. Most Sarracenia - especially the upright ones - expect a lot of sun. About three years ago I moved my plants from a highly exposed third-story western-facing patio to a yard bordered with trees. I get more direct light hourly now than I did on the patio, but my plants definitely were happier when the light wasn't filtered, and flowered more aggressively despite being much smaller. Be patient, and consider getting one of those extending tree trimmers.
~Joe

Besides, seedsets aren't that impressive, or reliable, unless done by hand. Getting new plants from "clumping" gives you plants that have a jump on seedlings.

Back