What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenias for trade

I have just repotted all of my plants in order to get them ready to come out of dormancy and a few were ready to be divided so I went ahead and did so.

Sarracenia purpurea ssp venosa <---------(NO LONGER AVAILABLE)
Sarracenia rubra ssp rubra

The rubra is fairly young, I would estimate about 3 or 4 yrs and the purpurea is mature I am assuming due to it's size. Both are currently dormant.

I am looking for Sarracenias mainly that I do not have as of yet but if you have something of interest let me know! Feel free to browse my growlist, Thanks!

Is there any locality data with the purp?

No locality info but here is what I DO know about it.

It was obtained from Lowes about 1-2 yrs ago.
It has no 'vein' pattern leading me to believe it is not ssp venosa, it has spent the entire winter outdoors with temperatures reaching -8 Fahrenheit with windchill and 4 Fahrenheit without wind chill leading me to believe it is purpurea as venosa could not withstand those temperatures. I have had others give me their input and they also believe it is ssp purpurea but no locality can be derived by just looking at it.

Here is a picture of it a few minutes ago still in dormancy and the 2nd picture is from this summer.

I could be wrong, but it looks a little tubby to be S. purpurea ssp. purpurea. Looks more like ssp. venosa to me.

No locality info but here is what I DO know about it.

It was obtained from Lowes about 1-2 yrs ago.
It has no 'vein' pattern leading me to believe it is not ssp venosa, it has spent the entire winter outdoors with temperatures reaching -8 Fahrenheit with windchill and 4 Fahrenheit without wind chill leading me to believe it is purpurea as venosa could not withstand those temperatures. I have had others give me their input and they also believe it is ssp purpurea but no locality can be derived by just looking at it.

Here is a picture of it a few minutes ago still in dormancy and the 2nd picture is from this summer.

I could be wrong, but it looks a little tubby to be S. purpurea ssp. purpurea. Looks more like ssp. venosa to me.

I agree. It's also hairy and I think that Purp Purps are less hairy on the hoods.

Any suggestion on the true ssp??

Take a look at this purpurea ssp. purpurea and notice how much more elongated the pitchers are than your purpurea. Almost all Sarracenia purpureas that you'll find in the trade - especially those sold in local stores are most likely ssp. venosa. Venosa is a fuller plant with a more flared hood and more tubby. Absence or presence of veins is not a telling sign. Yours could have a little introgressed purpurea ssp. purpurea but from the pics, it looks to me more like venosa. Another telling sign is that venosa is hairier. If you find traces of pubescence on the hood and pitcher you most likely have a venosa.

Purplepitcherplant.jpg

The reason why I thought it was ssp. purpurea was partly due to the hairs on the inside, they are not as corse as venosa. I do agree that pitchers are not as elongated as regular ssp. purpurea though. Also the color is all red there is no green and the lack of all 'veins' on the plant and with the sub-freezing temps it went through this winter I figured only ssp. purpurea could withstand these spells.
I also saw on here ( http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/S_purpurea.htm) that in this picture there was some hairs on the pitchers which seemed similar to mine minus the vein formations.Wish I could a DNA test of it lol
Thanks for your help Brokken and bucky!

You should be looking for pubescence on the outside of the pitcher, not the inside. It's most prominent on the back of the 'hood'.

Correction!

Sarracenia purpurea ssp venosa <------- NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Sarracenia rubra ssp rubra <--------------NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Both are still up for trade! Thanks to Brokken for the help and correction!

Sarracenia purpurea is no longer available, but the Sarracenia rubra is still up for grabs!

Back