What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia x moorei

S x moorei is now the accepted name over and above mooreana.

I picked out this from a hybridiser's collection. I like the mix of chocolatey and white colours...

moorei.gif

Thanks Brooks for that link. I have already wet myself with drool over the Wilkerson's as you well know!!!

Rob, that is a drop dead gorgeous example! How do I get a date, LOL.
If you know of anyone here in the colonies growing this particular one drop me a PM or let them know I will sell my cat for one.

I better stop watching this thread, I do believe I am getting all flustered! I believe I have found the impossible: my favorite Sarracenia! Never thought it could happen!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What is the formal difference between x. moorei and x mooreana? They seem to be used interchangeably on some websites.
Since there is some confusion about the name S. x mooreana, it would help if websites identified the parents.

The ICPS Database shows S. x mooreana as a non-legitimate name: ~S. x mooreana {auct. non Hort.Veitch: Hort.Westphal} is [leucophylla x oreophila]; whereas ~S. x mooreana {Hort.Veitch}]sphalm.typogr. is a synonym for S. x moorei (Hort.Moore ex Mast.) which is [flava x leucophylla].

That clone only exists - as far as I know - in my greenhouse and in the polytunnels of the guy who made the cross here in the UK. I picked it out and asked for a division last summer. I will be going a-visiting again soon as I also saw some rather incredible x excellens examples he had produced.

Oh, right, that's a shame, right? Once again I'm in the wrong country! Blimey! Anuvver wish for me steady diet of wish sandwiches. I spose then that I will bever 'ave a go wiv this beauty, but then again yer never know wot tomorrow will brin'! Blimey!

http://rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectt.cgi

S x Moorei is rare? I wouldn't think so...not complicated, jest 2 common species-Drats! They looks awful nice.

I should have NEVER toured Galleria Carnivora.
confused.gif

moorei are not rare, and usually can be found in any stand that has both flava and leucos.

They may not be rare, but they are uncommonly beautiful. In the case of Rob's plant, it is rare if you consider the differences that different population clones can produce! "Leah Wilkerson" is another example of rare beauty as well. Although the natural hybrid often occurs, tinkering with the flowers obviously produces varrying results, part of the endless delights this genus offers. By taking members from different populations that may not be sympatric, surprises may be had.

Ain't sex grand?

Tamlin, here you go. My one (lousy) pic of my moreii. It still small, as you can see, so it was a little tough to get it into focus. Darn camera kept focusing on the background....As well it's a video camera...yeah yeah, excuses excuses...
moreii.jpg

Back