What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia rubra

I have a s. rubra from pft and I really don't know which one it is. There are sooo many types of rubras that I can't even tell which one is which?
confused.gif
By the way, mine is getting a brownish color over the pitchers, is this normal? I'll try to post a pic tomarow. Thanx

Sincerely,
Erick

a pic is worth a thousand words

Got the pics. They're kinda out of focus...bu the pitchers are small jejeje
biggrin.gif

Dcp_1476.jpg

Dcp_1477.jpg

Notice that the plant came with all of it's pitchers burned. I hope thats normal...

Two things. It looks like your plants are in the shade. They will do much better in full sun. Don't worry about the brown pitchers, they will be replaced by new growth in time. You may already see little pitchers forming at the crown of the plant.

As far as IDing the plant goes, unless someone knows at the nursery it will be hard to tell what kind it is. If you go to the library and look for Donald Schnell's book "Carnivorous Plants of the US and Canada", second edition, it has a section describing the differences between the species. Even armed with that info it will be hard.

Ok I guess that was three things. If anyone knows of an easy way to ID rubra species, I would love to hear it.

Hope this helps. Good Luck and enjoy your plant!
smile.gif

jejeje Yea it must be hard. And don't worry, the shade it gets is only about an houre the rest is full full SUN. Believe me, we get alot of sun here at Puerto Rico
biggrin.gif

Hey,
To me it looks like S. Alata, rather than rubra, but, they both look alot alike. The browning is most likely a change in climate and sun exposure. Good luck,
Kevin

I have the same one from PFT. I think it's subsp. wherryi, but I'm not 100% sure.

i recieved a rubra from pft along time ago and finally these last couple of months it has produce great looking pitchers , but the problem is that the plant does'nt look like a rubra alot , mines looks more like a leucophylla or a s. rubra gulfensis . your rubra looks like s. rubra rubra but your going to have to wait til it grows more .

can somebody tell me what's the different between all the rubrs's subspecies?

Hey guys, I'm posting a pic of the latest pitcher. It's the best looking one yet.
S.Rubra.jpg

Back