What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Race. What do I do?

Big problem. BIG PROBLEM! So, since I'm making a minobog, I bought two gallons of soil from #### to fit the pot and I bought the Sarracenia from a different store called @@@@. @@@@ just shipped the plants, so they're coming on Wednesday-Thursday. Great, right? WRONG! #### didn't ship the soil yet, so what if the plants come a day or even 2 before? I can't leave them in the box, and there's 3 in clumps. I have no soil or temporary pots. What do I do?!

you should have just bought peat and perlite from lowes...its easier and cheaper, just make sure its not miracle grow or any other brand with fertilizers in it...

You can multi pot the plants with your other cp's for the time being till everything arrives if the plants arrive first before the soil.

SirKristoff, I know, but I didn't. And there are no Lowes even barely close to me. The closest ones don't have peat/perlite. I did my research ;) .
Nepenthes101, we're talking about a 1-2 day difference, and there is no room in the pots. Plus, the sarrs' roots are too deep for my pots which contain mostly Pings or, well, are just small pots.

Just stick them in some water.

They'll be fine for weeks like that.

yep, dunk them in a bucket of water..no problem at all..
they can happily sit there for weeks..

and what is this special "soil" you ordered? what is it specifically?

Scot

It's not special, it's just that there are NO stores near me that carry peat.
I ordered a gallon of peat and a gallon of peat/perlite.
Alexis, thanks for the advice! I'll try that.

It's not special, it's just that there are NO stores near me that carry peat.
I ordered a gallon of peat and a gallon of peat/perlite.
Alexis, thanks for the advice! I'll try that.

you will be fine then..
even if the plants arrive before the peat..
just stick the plants in a container of water until the peat arrives..
no worries..

Scot

I've had this same exact problem before. Unwrap their pitchers but leave their roots in the bag they're getting shipped in, to keep the roots moist but to give the pitchers air to breathe. Mist the roots in the bag to wet them if they're not damp enough. Don't put them into lots of direct sunshine yet though in that state because you might boil the roots live in a bag like that. If they could stand getting shipped for a few days in a dark box, they can stand a day or two of root misting and indirect light.

scottychaos, thanks! I'll do that, then.
thez_yo, that seems like a good idea but I got 3 replies for one idea, so I'm going with the root in water technique

OK, mine was the lazy-man's technique ;)

Lol, yeah. I don't want to take any risks, tho.

Just stick them in some water.

They'll be fine for weeks like that.

I second this. The sarrs will be fine. I've recieved neps I haven't potted up for over a week. I just kept their root balls wrapped in shapgnum and paper towel which I kept moist. They did fine.

nightsky, you are actually the 4th person to agree. That's what I'm going to do.

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck with them!

Thanks! I can't wait 'till the soil comes!

Water is placed. Sarrs are here. Now it's just a waiting game.

Back