What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Purpurea maintainence

So, I have my Sarracenia Purpurea plant for about a year now indoors and missed a dormancy and still is continuing to grow and stuff and I have decided that I need to bring it outdoors and I've been noticing that the pot is getting a bit small with a ribosome division occurring. This made me thing that a mini bog is needed but, I want one that is not large but has a lot of space that also auto-refills or something. Do you guys have anything in mind that I can use?

Also, I think I have been noticing some disease that is beginning to infest my plant. I see little brown spots on my plant when scraped off looks like a scab or something and it isn't dead cells because when I scrap it off, it reveals the plant's green healthy parts underneath the brown spot. Adding to this as well, I am beginning to see mold so can anyone tell me a safe medicine to repel fungus and insects from eating the plant?

so this is safe with carnivorous plants? just to be safe, can you recommend me to a anti-fungus and the kind of insect repellent that the plant absorbs into its leaves and then the insects eat it, they die.

Do you guys have anything in mind that I can use?
A bigger pot.

with a ribosome division occurring.
First off, I think you meant rizome. Ribosomes assist in the translation process that makes protein in cells. (Thank you 10th grade biology.)
Second, a rhizome division doesn't just occur, it's something that you have to do. If you think your purp's rhizome is large enough, go ahead and do it, but wait until next spring.

Sorry, I can't really help you with those brown spots. The mold should go away after you place the plant outside. If it doesn't, you can go ahead and treat it with something.

If you have anymore questions, just shout.

Oops, wrong link. I corrected it.

A system insecticide gets absorbed by the plant so when the insect eats or sucks juices from the plant the insect gets a dose of insecticide.

Bayer Advanced has several off the shelf products you can find at Home Depot and the like that contain Imidacloprid. There is a triple action product with a fungicide. If there is no fungus why bother with a fungicide?

The fixed link mentions one of the Bayer Advanced products.

can you tell me the name of an anti-fungus solution ahead of time just in case? i don't want it to be damaging to start treating it when I see it.

@theyellowdart yea, i'm sorry, i knew it started with an r but forgot what it was called.

so, if i were to replant into a minibog outside, then can you tell me the soil composition and secrets that make your minibogs thrive? i heard that people use lava rock and all sorts so i am not sure about anything right now.

Just look on Bayer Advanced site under rose and flower care or shrubs and trees. Rose and flower would be more appropriate.

http://bayeradvanced.com/

Unless you have an idea of what fungus you're up against you might have to go through 3 or 4 fungicides to find what works. Maybe not even then.

@theyellowdart yea, i'm sorry, i knew it started with an r but forgot what it was called.

so, if i were to replant into a minibog outside, then can you tell me the soil composition and secrets that make your minibogs thrive? i heard that people use lava rock and all sorts so i am not sure about anything right now.
haha, it's cool, you don't have to apologize... thats an easily made mistake.

The soil for a mini bog is pretty simple. A peat/perlite mix works well if it's drained and if it's un-drained pure peat should work fine.

but what are the lava rocks, charcoal, perlite really for.

They are mainly for drainage; some people use lava rocks in darlingtonia mixes to cool the roots.
You won't need lava rocks or any of the more complex soil ingredients for standard U.S native carnivores. People use them for plants like Nepenthes.

thanks for your information, it is really helping me and now I need to figure out a auto refill design for a mini bog.

Do you mean an automatic watering system? They sell those for a lot of money.

I've been trying to design some type of syphoning method for constantly pouring water over my darlintonia. It would probably work on a mini bog too. I'll let you know when it's done. (Thats if I ever finish)

Back